Sign in to follow this  
Alphaton

Sennheiser HD25-II or Shure SRH840?

Hi all! Its me again. After much research and consideration, i have narrowed down my options to the 2 named in my topic, Sennheiser HD25-II and Shure SRH840. Both are pretty decent with its price with good bass and sound quality. Sennheiser one is smaller and lighter but costs 60bucks more so i was just wondering which will be better considering the fact that i mite be getting an iBasso D4 soon. Thks! :D

I personally prefer the HD25-1-II as

1. i find that it sounds better and improves a lot with amping

2. its much lighter and much less bulky

3. its pretty much indestructible.

another thing is that the hd25-1-II uses a steel cable, and a cable upgrade to a copper one definitely yields better SQ. (saying this, i personally do own a HD25 but its the 600ohms version which sounds better when amped compared to the original)

BTW the HD25-1 ii is available in SG?

It is available but Stereo and Jaben do not seem to have ready stock, unless you wanna get the Adidas version. I think some shops in SLS may have it.

I think both are awesome headphones, you could go down to Stereo or Jaben to try them, I think that in the end, it's up to your personal preference as to which one would be better.

I am using the HD 25-1 and very happy with it for many years already. Hung's Brother at Sim Lim Square should have it. However, it is a bit pricy in those days I bought it and I think it probably still is. Very ruggged professional close headphone.

Both have different sound signature.

HD25-II is lively, with good detail & clarity. Pretty good bass as well. Compared with SRH840, HD25-II is brighter, more forward presentation, like you sit very close to the stage. Very durable construction, especially if you carry your headphones with you when traveling.

SRH840 is sweet & smooth, with excellent imaging, maybe one of the best in it's price category for imaging. A bit laid back presentation, like you sit a few rows behind the stage. When compared them both (I have SRH840 and happened to have HD25-II for a few weeks) you will immediately hear that SRH840 is smoother sounding than HD25-II, and HD25-II will sound a bit aggressive. Bass in SRH840 is different than HD25-II, if you like bass that makes you toe tapping, HD25-II is better. SRH840 bass is quite proportional, but not very engaging. SRH840 has good tonal balance (just a bit midrange centric), smooth sound, and excellent imaging. I use it for sound editing of my recording.

For traveling I choose HD25-II, for sound editing I choose SRH840.

My2cents, hope it helps :)

Guest crumple_r

Hi all! Its me again. After much research and consideration, i have narrowed down my options to the 2 named in my topic, Sennheiser HD25-II and Shure SRH840. Both are pretty decent with its price with good bass and sound quality. Sennheiser one is smaller and lighter but costs 60bucks more so i was just wondering which will be better considering the fact that i mite be getting an iBasso D4 soon. Thks! :D

Have you considered the new Denon AH-D1100s? I had a listen at Jaben just a while ago and was really impressed with them.

Pleasing aesthetics and wonderful balance in sound considering their price. I should have my pair by the middle of next wk and will post more impressions.

FYI, i used to own the SRH840s but haven't heard the HD25s.

its the senn badboy you should be choosing man...

though the 840 will portray classical music and ensembles on a large hall types a bit better (because of it's slightly better soundstage) anything else other than these, the hd 25-1 kicks the 840's ass the whole day..

rock, metal, triphop, industrial, bigbeat, downtempo, trance, lounge, chillout... the senns got you covered here...