Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

washing of beyer pads

felt like washing the beyer 880 pads. has anyone washed them before? i noticed that there is very slight clumping after some use. will washing clump the pads and have to brush wink.gif them?

Do you know what the filler is? I suggest you just clean by using lysol (at your own risk of course). Spray onto a clean cloth and just wipe the pads. Or you could cover the transducer part with tissue and spray just the pad ring area - then wipe with clean cloth. Do this sparingly ya and you do it at your own risk. Have only tried this on Senn 600 Pads. Lysol disinfects as well. Keep the cans in an air-com room like I do and they wont go musty.

its more like the sweat seeping in and clumping up the fuzz. dried up sweat isn't too hygenic you know...washing will be the best way to thoroughly remove them so i was wondering if washing will clump them in the event i wash the pads.

of course chemicals (dettol,lysol) may work but i'm not sure of any weird reactions that might happen? i had bad experience of dettol slightly dissolving plastics.

Your pads. Your choice. Using a clean cloth dampned in lysol to wipe is quite safe - don't know abt long term. The dirt comes off onto the clean cloth - a terry cloth if yoiu like as it has some abrasive properties that shoulcd help scrub off the dirt and sweat stains. Hey if it detrioates then buy new ones lah. Sound like you would need to buy a new pair anyway so where's the harm right?

Curious, what do you do with them to get is so soiled, jogging? LOL Had mine for longer than yours and they are in pristine condition - of course I alternate with the Beyer DT-931 and Senn HD-600 and Ety and use them in air-con comfort but you're alternating it with the Ety as well.

Anyway, hope it all works out for ya.

Signing off from this thread as I have nothing more to contribute in terms of cleaning methods. I wouldn't wash them if I were you unless you're prepared to buy a new pair. Keep us posted if you do.

Hmm..maybe use a mild soap like woolite and scrub the pads. Hmmm... I also have foam carpet cleaner that may work. One day years from now I will try it but I suspect my pads will do a material fatigue thing before it get dirty as I usually have a shower first before relaxing and listening to music in air con. So no sweat.

Good luck - esp if you wash them.

unfortunately i do not have the luxury of listening in air con comfort most of the time so sweat creeps in after a while. its not that they stink or are dirty, just that the thought of washing them came into my mind and i thought of the clumps that might happen.

i don't think i'll wash anytime soon but i'll report back if i do.

I strongly discourage you from putting the pads in the wash as the velour looks fairly delicate. Beside the Lysol you could also try using Fabreeze. I have used this quite successfully on other fabrics however please test it out on one ear pads first (preferably removed from the drivers). Another good way is sunning the pads like drying your clothes in the sun. Leave it on one side for a few hours then turn them over for the other. It works quite well with mattresses & pillows as well.

I hope the pads won't come out of a wash looking like the head of a gollywog if U get what I mean. Try the measure suggested by Rameish before undertaking the extreme solution.