Sign in to follow this  
mrsamo

Sony MDR CD3000 advice

Hi folks,

I remember this site when I was living in Singapore and surprised to still see it here :-)

Anyway, I have a pair of Sony MDR CD3000 headphones that I've kept in the cupboard all these years and have never used it because I did quite a bit of travelling and couldn't really bring it with me. My travelling headphones of choice if anyone is interested are the Phillips SHP8900, Creative EP-something and AKG K518DJs, very happy with them considering that I only carried a suitcase and backpack during my travels.

Anyway, just had a look and the pads looked like they need replacement having stuck together for so long. I'm not sure how the pad could deteriorate like that especially when I haven't used it much, but having read on headfi it seems that a lot of people had the same problem and bought replacement pads (which I have just ordered).

My dilemma is, the Sony's are too good a headphone to be stored in the cupboard, but I don't simply want to give them away either. How much would they be worth now? I bought them brand new back in 2003 and the condition is still the same (except for the pads).

I felt like I've collected quite a lot of headphones thanks to headfi haha but somehow its just comes down to the 3 that I have simply because I need something portable and cheap. The Sony have been treated like a collector's item because it really is quite unique especially the cool looking box it came with.

I guess you guys probably know how it sounds but sadly even I don't have a proper sound system to make the most of it other than my notebook, HD-based media player (DVICO) and Cowon D2.

Cheers for your assistance.

You may wanna consider investing into a electric dry cabinet for all these valuable stuffs as I also did that for my more than 10 year old HD-600 & Grado SR-60.

Over in Singapore is rather temperate country, not only those pads will deteriorate even those leather handbags, wallets, etc also not being spared.

Also the power consumption is less than $1 a day. Initial investment into that dry cabinet depending on sizes but average $100 (you may store other stuffs like important CDs, tapes, old bank notes, stamps, etc)

Thanks for the head up. Yeah the headphones are in Australia, should have put them in a much cooler place than my room doh!

Going to be putting it on the market as I will probably never get to use it due to travelling so much.