Sign in to follow this  
Jun

Denon AH-D2000 or ?

Hmm, recently got my first "slight above average" IEMs, the westones UM1 and recently, getting more poisoned to get a headphone. Currently saving up and at the same time, doing my fair share of research. The last time when I went to jaben to audition IEMs, I liked the sound by denon and westones because I felt that these 2 brands provided a clearer sound quality and sounded more vibrant though the UM1s lacked in bass which I felt was a sad thing. I'm quite interested in a Denon AH-D2000 after some research on my own and it seems to be quite well reviewed by many people across the net. Any other suggestions for headphones within that price range or any amps recommended to go with it? Trying to keep the amp + headphone budget within $550.

All statements below are IMHO and you should go and try them yourself to form your own opinions as each person's preference differs.

Not sure about amps that go well with it.

Personally i find closed cans a bit... closed. So i didn't quite like the Denons

Everyone's opinions differ but IMHO,

other headphones to consider would be:

1) Beyerdynamic DT880 (the deals on Amazon are ridiculous)

2) Grado SR125/SR125/SR225/SR325

3) Alessandro MS1/MS2

4) Sennheiser HD600 (around 450 if i'm not mistaken, might be higher)

5) Get a UM3X and then be done with it, lol

Some random ramblings by me,

Beyer has recessed mids which annoy the heck out of me, the bass is quite heavy, as i'm used to the K701 which is rather bass light for some. (I have a beyer 990 Pro lying in the cabinet because of this, used to like oodles of bass till i fell in love for the first time, with the K701, and then with the HD650)

I think that Grado is really wonderful for rock and other modern music because it's really fun to listen to, but if you use it for critical listening, i think it lacks detail and separation.

The Sennheiser HD600 has the famous Sennheiser Veil, but it disappears if you have a powerful enough amp to drive it, i own a HD650, and the veil was very annoying so i went to Jaben looking to get rid of the veil. I realised that PROPER amping will get reduce or even remove the veil.

Well, i think the UM3X is a fantastic pair of earphones, and if it weren't for the JH16s poisoning me, i would have got it instead. Other choices can be: Sennheiser IE8, Earsonics SM3, Westone 3, Shure 535 and UE TF10.

I think the Grados are quite acceptable unamped but respond well to amping, you could consider them and if you are unsatisfied with them in the future, you could get an amp to power them to their full potential.

I wanted to put in the K701, but seeing as you require some bass, i don't think it will be a good fit for you. That and also the fact that they are VERY picky with amps (You could get a K701 second hand for 350). It has been a frustrating but rewarding experience for me when i was looking for an amp for it. Although my setup isn't the kind of multimillion dollar setup, but i'm happy with it at the moment. I guess there comes a point where you get to be satisfied with what you've got, until somebody asks you to listen to their rig.