Sign in to follow this  
dora-motor

First experience with IEM - Beyerdynamic DTX 80

Hi all, would like to share a little experience of mine with IEM, particularly the DTX 80.

How should I start.... How about this:

I'm a person who first encounter audiophile with 'full system setup', amp, speakers, CD player and cables. But as situation doesn't allow me to have the system, I'm went into smaller set-up with headphone. All along I have the perception that earphones and IEM are crappy staff (not to offend anyone but due to past experience ) and headphone is the way to go if I want to continue enjoy my music.

However I do realise that there are lots of ppl around enjoying IEM which I dont understand y...... so curiously I start to explore into the IEMs world. Not want to invest too much, I targeted at the CX 300 and DTX 80 (after going thru few online reviews) of course heard some other (UE, Kilpsch, Jay, Monster etc) along the way.

Went to the IT show today and had a few demos. Finally bought the DTX 80... at first was a little disappointed as it was really crappy, no bass, high and mid were terrible...... told myself that should have stick to headphones... (some of you might say: should have listen and consider before buying mah, waste of $$).

However the other side of me still believe that there must be something that I missed else how would there be high rating online? Could it be that I had not burn in it yet? I worn it wrongly? or otherwise?

Nop, after figuring awhile, decided to try fitting all the different sizes of the buds. Wala! with the L size one that fitted nicely into my ear blocking out all gaps and I mean 'really fully fill' my ear, the bass are back! and the music comes to live! These IEM sound "tonally-balanced, Bass is still forceful and deep, but not at the expense of the midrange, which is brilliantly clear. Vocals are focussed and expressive throughout, while treble is exciting without sounding harsh.

Dynamics are also impressive, and there's a sense of scale" just as what online review states.

Well, it seem like a right invest made. Nevertheless, I would say that you cant really compare IEM and headphones as in the first place its nt apple for apple. So that's all I'm sharing in short. Cheers

Edited by dora-motor

A good fit is indeed key to enjoying the IEMs you bought. When you do not enjoy the music from the IEM as much as before and the eartips look worn, it is time to replace the eartips.