odgcwrtw

Where to find Vintage Cassette Walkmans in singapore?

I've posted a topic in the classifieds, but alternatively, I'd like to know where I can find vintage walkmans here in Singapore, without going on ebay. They seem very difficult to find.

Models I'm looking for are Disc Drive DD, Boodo Khan or Professional models made to high standards.

If anybody knows a place that deals with or has one of these?

Are u talking about portable mini cassette player? Never heard of the brands u mentioned. I do have a Panasonic one meant for recording. PM me if u are keen. Dun think it is made to very high professional standard though.

Edited by fuwen

Hi,

Dear friend,as if you don't know the throw away culture here and anyway casette tape has gone the

way of dinosaurs.Though Sony has at that time a professional model it's not that compact.It was mostly

used by serious audio/video people or journalists.The prices then was expensive so don't expect many to

survive the ravages of time.Even if you could find one the rubber belts and smt (surface mount technology)

meaning miniture components will give any electronic expert headaches.

Either you're a collector or you want to transfer precious recordings, sentimental or otherwise,

then there are still useable machines available if you know where to find like the sungei road thieves

market.Of course you will have to service them.For new ones try Sim Lim Tower.

PS I do have a Yahama cassete deck if you're interested which is easier to use for transfers.

You can have it foc just email me. Good day.

Edited by dacboy

Actually I do have an SMT Walkman Professional already that I serviced myself.

I enjoy its unique sound and find it sounds better stock with chrome/metal tape than my other mp3 players. And it has a rather powerful amp that can drive headphones better than most if not all new mp3 players. And you are right, it's rather large. However, there are similar playback-only models like the DC2 and DD9 that are smaller.

I do collect walkmans, and know about the sungei road market and have actually obtained a few units from there, but none of them are the higher end models I'm seeking for.

DD units mostly do not have belts (but the professional and dd9 does for reel takeup).

Thankfully belts are mostly easy to replace, but as you said, miniature components like capacitors that need replacing are difficult to replace, but doable.

IPB Image

I've posted a topic in the classifieds, but alternatively, I'd like to know where I can find vintage walkmans here in Singapore, without going on ebay. They seem very difficult to find.

Models I'm looking for are Disc Drive DD, Boodo Khan or Professional models made to high standards.

If anybody knows a place that deals with or has one of these?

Wow, Boodo Khan. They existed like 20 years ago. I used to have 1 during my secondary sch. The walkman came with the DOL (Dynamic Optimum Loudness) if I'm not wrong and its a very basic walkman (w/o remote, auto-reverse, radio etc). The set even came with headphone for e start :). The sound was unmatched (ok, then I was a basshead :blush: )

Those were the days.

Good luck in hunting :)

Edited by LancerCK