Sign in to follow this  
kookie

where can i buy diy tube based headamp in Singapore?

anyone knows? :grin:

Hi,

Most of the "kits" here are designed in China or Hong Kong i.e.

they are adaptations (meaning they are not carbon copies as some details are omitted like phono,selector and

even the types of tubes used originally ) of copies of well known tube preamps that audiophiles

wish they could own but can't afford as it's use as headphone amp is not as

popular here or asia plus salelability.Nonetheless they can drive a standard headphone.

Just substitute the rca output connectors for headphone 1/4 or 3.5mm ones or include both with a appropriate

switch so you can have it used as standard preamp.But take note that these amps can put out more signal

voltage than what a pair of headphones need....

Koba at Peoples park shopping center 3rd. flr has some pcbs plus parts so

go ask Wee Kok the son of the proprietor for the list of preamps like

Jadis jp200

Marantz M7

Kondo Audionote M7

Audioresearch

Matisse and many more.

Price wise they cost around $38 - $40 each but some like matisse or Marantz M7 include the power supply

section on the board but audionote m7 or jadis jp200 has separate amp and power supply

so I don't know if the price includes both sections to complete the amp.

Many people start off with a Marantz M7 where there are many positive reviews but it uses 2 tubes/channel some

would find the cost of 2 small tubes not attractive as running costs matter but small signal tubes are not that

scarry.

Then there is the design part in terms of sound quality.As tube artists say less is more or if you are a

single ended enthusiast ,by the way all /most preamps are single ended,then the less tube stages the better.

So if you are a novice then a pcb with everything on it may be easy and less mistakes encountered or if you

are more into the fine art of tube sound then separarate pcbs for amp and power supply is the way to go

plus choosing the "right" part as oppose to most expensive or commonly used but good sounding parts don't

come cheap as there is a "audiophile" label attached. :))

I would recommend the Kondo audionote M7 as it uses only one tube per channel ( 12AY7) which

you can find at Martin at Burlington sq. ground flr. square opposite Sim Lim sq.I don't know if the power supply is

solid state ie. it has silicon diodes or the original design of tube diodes ( 6X4).

For beginers there is the problem of getting a suitable power transformer for your kit as commercially

available ones may not have the exact voltage like the audionote 200 AC volts where at Martin they may

have 250V or 300V as preamp usage.So you need to drop the voltage by using resistors.All in all expect

to spend "substantial" money but if you are knowlegable about transformers you can use off the shelf ones

commonly seen at sim lim tower,of course you real estate or space and weight requirements will increase alot as you may need

to connect them in series or parallel.

Come to think of it you can download the famous audionote M7 circuit (old version use 5687 tube) foc from the net plus tube power supply and wire it point to point which is the "right" way to go instead of pcb, plus tube power supply and with the right parts can kill many commercial store bought ones.Do you know how much a real audionote m7 costs?

There is one compulsory WARNING though as tube amps involve HIGH DC and AC voltages it CAN KILL.

Although this fact is true begginners take the plunge anyway but if you are a tube virgin then get someone

experienced to guide you or do it for you. :)) Good luck.

Edited by dacboy

Very good post dacboy. Appreciate your effort. Good for future reference.

Thanks for the heads up!! :D i've experimented with diy solid state amps, now i wanna move up to tubes and hopefully sounds decent in combo.. xD

Thanks for the heads up!! :D i've experimented with diy solid state amps, now i wanna move up to tubes and hopefully sounds decent in combo.. xD

Hi,

As a further expansion of the art of audio, here is a presentation by the ETF

( European triode festvial) held every year where tube artists gather and exchange ideas

and do shootouts of tube equipment and present "new" research on all things audio.

http://www.triodefestival.net/index.php?pa...8-presentations

Lecture in 2008 by Menno Van der Veen , a well respected designer of toriodal output

transformers and tube amps and author titled: The philosophy and application of observations.

In it is a scientific explanation of the superiority of single ended amplification vs pushpull.

It's in the low level signal details that single ended amps can "extract" vs pushpull.

By the way his torodial output transformers did not make the final round (etf-2009) which was won

by Audionote UK. So theory is theory but the art is really a black art,you need to read

about the japanese tube masters to have a glimse of the magic, scientific or is it in the mind

or senses? Very philosophical and deep.Low thd specifications of transistor amps is nothing,

there is more unseen/undiscovered factors at work,for instance the human ear hearing is

non linear yet the basis and foundation of electronic design is linear.What have we missed?

Cheers. :))

Edited by dacboy

There is one compulsory WARNING though as tube amps involve HIGH DC and AC voltages it CAN KILL.

Actually it'll just give a very nasty shock.

I was at the mingda factory where the technican was pulling out hot tubes with his bare fingers and poking around the mono blocks with his bare hands while it was on.

Not that I have been shocked before but I think I can trust a person who does it for 6 days a week for the past 3-4 years.

I was at the mingda factory where the technican was pulling out hot tubes with his bare fingers and poking around the mono blocks with his bare hands while it was on.

Not that I have been shocked before but I think I can trust a person who does it for 6 days a week for the past 3-4 years.

Hi ,

It is obvious to people that what you are doing is "bill board" advertising with the attempt

at replying to posts and not being helpful.If you visit tube diy sites at the begining or end of the article

there is always a disclaimer alluding or warning that high DC/AC voltages is present and to avoid serious

injury to your own person or equipment.Now this is to avoid being sued in the event that anyone who attempts

such a project have been warned or advised and a reminder of the potential risks incured.As the saying goes

"fools rush in where angels fear to thread". Imagine, heart defilibrators used in emergency hospitals are a few

thousand volts to jump start a dead heart.What do you think it will do to a live,pumping heart?

As to your revelation at Mingda factory claims that the technician pulls out tubes while it is still

powered may indicate he is trying to locate a fault.I can assure you that is bad practice as most people who

work with tubes and have read enough of tube/valve design books will point out real life examples of such

actions that with certain circuit configuration can lead to excessive voltage to tubes that

will lead to damage. Good way is power off and then pull out.If you assume this is harmless then it is "blind leading the blind".PS would you like to pull tubes like big transmiting ones like 211,845,805 at around 1000 volts?

Now I do not object to your method of "marketing" for that is human nature but there are

better or effective ways of doing it.Given what you saw at Mingda factory would I want to recommend

people to use Mingda's products? It's like they say "don't go into the kitchen of a restaurent,after that you

don't want to eat there" or "what you don't know will not hurt you".Best practices will always prevail.

If you are operating a real or virtual shop ( online) and is sincere and you want to offer

good and well designed products that are priced fairly, to genuinely have your customers at heart and

not just profit margin then "word of mouth" is more effective than all the advertising in the world.It is the goodwill and trust/love that you engender and attract that is priceless, lasting or of long term benefit.

It is your intentions that count.Try it you will be amazed. :))

Cheers. Happy and prosperous new year.

Not all tube amps are alike. Some tube amps have mains level AC which certainly can kill. In my mis-spent younger days, I have stuck my fingers into a broken mains socket and gotten just a buzz (and also a caning from my teacher who caught us doing it). Doesn't mean AC mains is harmless either.

And some tube amps may have even higher voltages than mains. Have you seen arcing when high voltages are involved?

Actually it all depends on how the current is transmitted through the body. People have been struck by lightning and survived. Also at least one person has been killed by the 9V battery in a voltmeter when he tried to measure his body's resistance. You can google this incident, it was a US Navy sailor.

All in all, if you are selling equipment and you make statements like you did, are you aware you are opening yourself to lawsuits if any of your customers get hurt because they followed your advice?

Think about it.

Regards

Hi ,

It is obvious to people that what you are doing is "bill board" advertising with the attempt

at replying to posts and not being helpful.If you visit tube diy sites at the begining or end of the article

there is always a disclaimer alluding or warning that high DC/AC voltages is present and to avoid serious

injury to your own person or equipment.Now this is to avoid being sued in the event that anyone who attempts

such a project have been warned or advised and a reminder of the potential risks incured.As the saying goes

"fools rush in where angels fear to thread". Imagine, heart defilibrators used in emergency hospitals are a few

thousand volts to jump start a dead heart.What do you think it will do to a live,pumping heart?

As to your revelation at Mingda factory claims that the technician pulls out tubes while it is still

powered may indicate he is trying to locate a fault.I can assure you that is bad practice as most people who

work with tubes and have read enough of tube/valve design books will point out real life examples of such

actions that with certain circuit configuration can lead to excessive voltage to tubes that

will lead to damage. Good way is power off and then pull out.If you assume this is harmless then it is "blind leading the blind".PS would you like to pull tubes like big transmiting ones like 211,845,805 at around 1000 volts?

Now I do not object to your method of "marketing" for that is human nature but there are

better or effective ways of doing it.Given what you saw at Mingda factory would I want to recommend

people to use Mingda's products? It's like they say "don't go into the kitchen of a restaurent,after that you

don't want to eat there" or "what you don't know will not hurt you".Best practices will always prevail.

If you are operating a real or virtual shop ( online) and is sincere and you want to offer

good and well designed products that are priced fairly, to genuinely have your customers at heart and

not just profit margin then "word of mouth" is more effective than all the advertising in the world.It is the goodwill and trust/love that you engender and attract that is priceless, lasting or of long term benefit.

It is your intentions that count.Try it you will be amazed. :))

Cheers. Happy and prosperous new year.

So does it mean I have to be docile and impotent? Can't related my experiences? lol

I didn't come here to market, just felt bored and came in to share.

However since you did mention about being a billboard, i shall keep up with your impression of me -

Don't need to para-phase "claim", you can see it for yourself. :thumbup:

One man biasing and QCing about 10-15 amps a day.

Real world application seldom uses text book answers, things need to get done as they are required.

Didn't you learn that in the army?

I've seen far worst practices as sailing in the navy going to foreign ports.. dock workers actually jumping off the pier; stepping on the fenders without life jacket and it's a 4-5 meter drop into the sea inbtwn the ship side and the dock.

The monos are 300b/845ABSE - 100 watt monos with 1k volts running thru them.

http://audiohub.com.sg/pictures-gallery/an...-zhuhai-part-1/

you can view more pictures here.

But seriously, troll harder.. the scarasm over the "kind comments"...juvenile and utterly nonsense.

Not all tube amps are alike. Some tube amps have mains level AC which certainly can kill. In my mis-spent younger days, I have stuck my fingers into a broken mains socket and gotten just a buzz (and also a caning from my teacher who caught us doing it). Doesn't mean AC mains is harmless either.

And some tube amps may have even higher voltages than mains. Have you seen arcing when high voltages are involved?

Actually it all depends on how the current is transmitted through the body. People have been struck by lightning and survived. Also at least one person has been killed by the 9V battery in a voltmeter when he tried to measure his body's resistance. You can google this incident, it was a US Navy sailor.

All in all, if you are selling equipment and you make statements like you did, are you aware you are opening yourself to lawsuits if any of your customers get hurt because they followed your advice?

Think about it.

Regards

Only I'm allowed to touch the products, there is a big sign printed at the bottom - authorized personal personnel only.

However I can't stop them from trying, can I? :grin:

Just joking -

Most customers become my friends, they'll consult me first prior to them actually having to stick their fingers into it.

Edited by The Audio Hub

So does it mean I have to be docile and impotent? Can't related my experiences? lol

I didn't come here to market, just felt bored and came in to share.

Assuming you have a full time job and running an online audio shop and say you are bored

and you want to share? Try sharing cheer and goodwill instead of sarcasm.

Edit: You have your online shop and blog where you can share to your heart's content.

Quite a lame excuse don't you think? http://audiohub.com.sg/blog-entries/a-new-home/

However since you did mention about being a billboard, i shall keep up with your impression of me -

Please remember that what you put in writing here is "forever".Who is being juvenile?

Don't need to para-phase "claim", you can see it for yourself. :thumbup:

One man biasing and QCing about 10-15 amps a day.

Real world application seldom uses text book answers, things need to get done as they are required.

Didn't you learn that in the army?

I've seen far worst practices as sailing in the navy going to foreign ports.. dock workers actually jumping off the pier; stepping on the fenders without life jacket and it's a 4-5 meter drop into the sea inbtwn the ship side and the dock.

The monos are 300b/845ABSE - 100 watt monos with 1k volts running thru them.

http://audiohub.com.sg/pictures-gallery/an...-zhuhai-part-1/

you can view more pictures here.

But seriously, troll harder.. the scarasm over the "kind comments"...juvenile and utterly nonsense.

You seem to be an intelligent person but your ego is getting the better of you.

EDit: Yes theory is just theory and real life is what you said but bear in mind that this real world

don't care what's really happening when something bad occurs they want some "heads to roll"

or take "responsibility".Scapegoat in short.so if you say ,they did this all by themselves (free will) and

that's life or karma is not going to go well with the authorities.They only see only 3D realities,not philosophy

or quantum physics.

Only I'm allowed to touch the products, there is a big sign printed at the bottom - authorized personal personnel only.

However I can't stop them from trying, can I? :grin:

Just joking -

Most customers become my friends, they'll consult me first prior to them actually having to stick their fingers into it.

Do you think your customers will consult you if you say irresponsible things?

The moderator has taken notice of you and in fact this forum has the proper section (Announcements/offers)

for people like you to market your products but it is not enough for you that you have to"stick it in the face"

so to speak here.Have you no morals or ethics?

I shall not comment and indulge you any further.

Happy and prosperous new year to all. :holiday:

Edited by dacboy