Sign in to follow this  
Theatre Of Dreams

Ultimate Ears 200 by Logitech

Logitech Ultimate Ears 200, at <$50. Really feel that this pair of earphones deserves special mention for its ‘ultimate’ value. Lovers of balanced sound / haters of boomy bass can probably rejoice.

Just a brief background. I’m not a hardcore audiophile, my most expensive phones were just the UE SF3 Studio. But ever since the cable was damaged, I fell back on my spare OVC TC20. Now, this OVC’s cable was finally falling apart, so I dragged myself to SE at PS for a replacement cable for my dormant-for-long SF3.

Tried on the new cable to test my old drivers, and I couldn’t believe I’d deprived my ears for so long. But just when I was about to make the purchase, it came to mind whether it’d be more worthwhile buying new earphones altogether with about the same budget set for the cable.

There had to be realistic expectations when auditioning; I could not expect any new phones at this price point to be as good as my old SF3. But well, they’d gotta be sth similar, at least in sound signature. Otherwise I’d just fall back on getting the replacement SF3 cable.

Sadly, the initial several models I tried were all too boomy for me. It might work for some others, but personally I prefer sth balanced and lushy such that I can appreciate the vocals. I was testing with norah jones’ “what am I to you” and “chasing pirates”.

I did try the a-jays three for fun though they were well over my intended budget, and yea they were the only thing that came close and I was about to finally settle for the SF3 cable…..

……until I tried the new UE 200... My eyes literally brightened.

Finally something that comes close to the SF3! Nothing nonsensically boomy and muddy. Vocals aren’t as lushy as the SF3 but hey these 200 are seriously not too far off. Probably gotta be thankful to Logitech for retaining the UE sound signature? It’s so ironic that they look so plain in the boring Logitech packaging and cost so harmless! Included in the package are an interestingly practical protective hard case and 5 pairs of differently sized sleeves.

So just want to give you guys a heads up on this pair of new earphones which is apparently a new model. I’m not too sure exactly when it came out. Whatever it is, don’t give this a miss if you’re shopping for new phones.

Finally, thanks to Bobby and another seemingly foreign staff at SE PS for attending to me. Cheers.

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/200

IPB Image

Edited by Theatre Of Dreams