Sign in to follow this  
okw3188

Audeze LCD-2 is in town

Just ordered a pair of LCD-2 from Stereo at Plaza Singapura this afternoon. They don't have stock yet. Hope to receive it mid next week, the earliest. I have an old Bryston BP25MC pre amp with headphone section and also a Creek SE headphone amp. Not sure if any of these are a good match for the Audeze, or should I purchase a better one. Heard that Burson headphone amp is a good match.

Do bring your LCD2 to audition the Burson. I tried it, not my cup of tea.

Amp and headphone 'matching' is very subjective...like what kwhv experienced, only way to determine whether there really is a 'match' or not is to hear for oneself...online reviews also cannot trust because everyone's preference is different...having said that, I'm sure there are people out there that probably enjoyed their lcd2s with their burson amps (not personally tried that combo yet, so cannot comment)..

My LCD2 sounds great to me on my leben cs300x, grace m903 and sugden headmaster, warmest with the leben though (because of the tubed output).

The LCD2s aare generally warm and quite forgiving compared to a number of other higher priced headphones and are not too difficult to drive, so most solid state amps should do fine... as always, ymmv...

Edited by askl2000

I would like comment IMO that LCD2 may be forgiving but it doesn't lack details. It present details in a more "organic"/natural way. It's hard to correctly put it in words, best to hear it oneself.

I would like comment IMO that LCD2 may be forgiving but it doesn't lack details. It present details in a more "organic"/natural way. It's hard to correctly put it in words, best to hear it oneself.

Against my other contending headphones in my stable, it is the most obscuring when it comes down to details, so much so I'm considering trying silver headphone cables to try with my lcd2s. Very comfortable to use for listening to vocals, but not my go-to headphones for orchestral or instrumental music. Of course, this is my own personal assessment only, ymmv!

I think I might understand the 'organic/natural' feel towards hifi...am a Harmonix tweak freak! :party:

Against my other contending headphones in my stable, it is the most obscuring when it comes down to details, so much so I'm considering trying silver headphone cables to try with my lcd2s. Very comfortable to use for listening to vocals, but not my go-to headphones for orchestral or instrumental music. Of course, this is my own personal assessment only, ymmv!

I think I might understand the 'organic/natural' feel towards hifi...am a Harmonix tweak freak! :party:

LOL I see we're on opposite camps on this matter. Better not get into endless debate. :))

I'm a tweaker too. Love to "roll" opamps and tubes. :grin:

Edited by kwhv

LOL I see we're on opposite camps on this matter. Better not get into endless debate. :))

I'm a tweaker too. Love to "roll" opamps and tubes. :grin:

There's no right and wrong when it comes down to music/eqpt appreciation...what's most important is that you are enjoying your music and setup! No worries, will not debate or force my opinions down anybody's throats...

I occasionally roll tubes (plenty of tubed eqpt for both my hifi and headfi setups), but the nos stuff is getting very pricy these days...

Back to the LCD2...anyone interested to make headband for the LCD2s? I'm exploring the option to have a leather one made...the exposed foam seems very 'unpolished' and is bugging me a little.

Guest dragonboy

Have been hearing lots of talk on the LCD2. Maybe will drop by Stereo Causeway Point tomorrow and see will kana poison.

Hey, just got my lcd 2s. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions for an affordable (about $500) home amp for them that I can go and audition. I dont mind both ss and tubes. Thanks in advance

Choices are pretty limited for that budget. You can try Audio Technica AT-HA20. Can drive the LCD pretty well. Very lively amp. However it lacks refinement of the better amps, highs are bit grainy and mids not as full as I like.

Maverick D1 is probably also in your budget. Have never heard that before. You can audition both of them at Jaben. Matrix M-Stage another option but dunno where you can audition that.

If you wish to up your budget, the amp to try is CEntrance DACmini. Or just try it, it may make you change your budget :grin:

Give D & A call.

I bought mine in May too. You mean there is a chance for an upgrade?

Edited by sky

Mine was from very much earlier...looks like I will have to ask about the replacement headband...mine's the old 'naked' one...