Sign in to follow this  
man_in_a_ai_mec

The DT880 Pro (600Ω) Noob Thread

Hi guys hope you can do me a favor and help me out with my decision.

Previously a few months back I tried out the DT880 600Ω and a few other headphones, but the DT880's stood out the most and so I decided to save for it and took on a few part-time jobs during the school holidays.

So recently I went to Stereo and Jaben with the intention of buying the 880's but decided to try some others just for fun. But now my little testing session kinda make my choice even harder.

I fine the Pro750 ok and the HD598 and DT880 quite similar but still in love with my old fav the DT880's.

Also I wanted to check prices so I found out Stereo didn't have the DT880 600Ω version they only had the 32Ω version. And Jaben had 2 flavors!!! the DT880 Pro 600Ω and DT880 Premium 600Ω.

I googled around here and there and it seem that there were very little comparisons between those two models and the common topic was that the Pro version of the 880 had more clamping force.

I checked Jaben's forum and they are currently having a special for the Pro version plus a GoVibe Peak amp for a total of $458. But their non Pro versions are going for $5XX so it kinda seems like the non Pro versions are better if you look at the price.

So now this is where you guru's come in, which is better the DT880 Pro or non Pro? Is it worth to buy the Jaben bundle price or get from B&G ?

Also how good is the GoVibe Peak amp? The guy told me it is worth $3XX, can't really remember how much.

Just to add my friend will be selling me his Essence STX when his Essence ST/H6 card ships in some time this month.

Edited by man_in_a_ai_mec

Hi,

This is only my opinion. -_-

Are you sure there are no reviews diferenciating between DT880 models? Or are you an audio virgin?

Well to be fair I can't blame you but you have to learn your craft or else you will be conned through

and through or as they say the sharks will rip your clothes off.By the way I'm not a guru but I'm

knowledgable enough to give you some advice or tips?

First look at DT880 frequency response http://www.headphone.com/headphone/beyerdynamic-dt-880.php

In speaker design you try to achieve a flat frequency response in order to say it will reproduce

all frequencies at the same amplitude or level which make it sound neutral.But in real life it is not but you still

try and look at DT880 a hump at the mid frequency (voice) where your ears are most sensitive ,a dip from 1khz to 5khz and jagged peaks at the high frequencies at around 10khz.This will mean the highs are over emphasized and will sound bright.

You have to be knowlegable and read between the lines of reviews.Although the reviewer's job is to sell

the product but some reviewer does not want to betray his own conscience so he puts it in a diplomatic way

in order to appear that he sides the product but is also telling the truth in an oblique way. :thumbup: See the 6 moons review of DT880. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/beyer/dt880.html

Here 6 moons say DT880 is bright and the highs are "noticeable" and is not as neutal

in true audiophile fashion.Mind you it is advertised as a studio monitor headphone and as a recording

engineer you would want a neutral one to do mixing and mastering.

I'm not too sure about the product development stages and timeline but it appears that DDT880 pro was introduced in 2005 and the impedanced was and still is 250 ohm.Lately there is a 600 ohm version.I wonder if

there is a 32 ohm version as this is a "high end" one.As to the different models... Pro,consumer they are just cosmetics.Although there is a difference being that the first DT880 of 2005 is a close back one where else the 2008

DT880 I think is stated as semi closed .

All this diversion and you will notice Beyer nor anyone talks about the star which is the driver in the headphone.

Makes you wonder does'nt it? Are they all the same? well if to look at DT880 frequency response the plot is of a

raw driver or in the enclosure, there could be no equalisation added (filter) and that's how most headphone drivers are so it boils down to housing or enclosure to makeup for the deficiency in actual frequency response or sound.

Ultimately you are the one who decides if you prefer the coloured sound or a neutral one.

There is no right or wrong you are paying for it but convention and scientific way is a flat response so that

others can be judged at the same criteria or standard.Hope this helps.

http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-heads...amic-dt-880-pro

Edited by dacboy

Hi, just my 2 cents worth here

Everyone likes different kinds of sounds, some prefer colored sounds and some prefer neutral sounds. For me, i like the K701 and HD650, and i will stick with them for the foreseeable future. Though i've had friends who have tried those 2 and the dt990 and still prefer the Grado MS1i that i had.

Although in speaker design you do aim for a flat frequency curve, everyone listens to music from a different perspective, so it's up to you to decide which kind of sound signature you like in the end. Cause in the end, it's going to be you listening to the headphones.

Now, onto the Beyers,

1) There wasn't any noticeable difference in sound in the pro and premium versions that i could make out.

2) I've went through a few headphones before i found something that i really liked and sticked with them. I would suggest that you try out a few more headphones before making a choice. Have you tried the Grados? They are known to be really good for rock, you could also try the HD600, those are quite well-known.

3) The differences between the 250ohm and 600ohm versions are miniscule, They did some blind testing on Head-fi and those that could tell the difference preferred the 60Ohm versions, but stated that there was only a very small difference if you really really listened into it. if you have decided on the beyers, then just try them out and then decide.

4) You'll definitely need an amp for the Beyers, especially the 600Ohms version. You could consider the Govibe Peak, but also look into other amplifiers, you could look for one in the classifieds section. Personally i think that buying an amp first hand is quite expensive. You could get the headphones from B&W if you don't plan on getting the Go-vibe Peak, but otherwise, the extra worry about the warranty and shipping is a bummer, and when you decide to sell it off, some people would prefer a local set. The price of the Beyer alone at Jaben is more than the price of the bundle at Jabens. Weird.....

Hi, just my 2 cents worth here

Everyone likes different kinds of sounds, some prefer colored sounds and some prefer neutral sounds. For me, i like the K701 and HD650, and i will stick with them for the foreseeable future. Though i've had friends who have tried those 2 and the dt990 and still prefer the Grado MS1i that i had.

Although in speaker design you do aim for a flat frequency curve, everyone listens to music from a different perspective, so it's up to you to decide which kind of sound signature you like in the end. Cause in the end, it's going to be you listening to the headphones.

Now, onto the Beyers,

1) There wasn't any noticeable difference in sound in the pro and premium versions that i could make out.

2) I've went through a few headphones before i found something that i really liked and sticked with them. I would suggest that you try out a few more headphones before making a choice. Have you tried the Grados? They are known to be really good for rock, you could also try the HD600, those are quite well-known.

3) The differences between the 250ohm and 600ohm versions are miniscule, They did some blind testing on Head-fi and those that could tell the difference preferred the 60Ohm versions, but stated that there was only a very small difference if you really really listened into it. if you have decided on the beyers, then just try them out and then decide.

4) You'll definitely need an amp for the Beyers, especially the 600Ohms version. You could consider the Govibe Peak, but also look into other amplifiers, you could look for one in the classifieds section. Personally i think that buying an amp first hand is quite expensive. You could get the headphones from B&W if you don't plan on getting the Go-vibe Peak, but otherwise, the extra worry about the warranty and shipping is a bummer, and when you decide to sell it off, some people would prefer a local set. The price of the Beyer alone at Jaben is more than the price of the bundle at Jabens. Weird.....

The premium look better in my opinion and the fit felt more comfortable, and yes amps are expensive, anyways I went with the DT880 Pro 600Ω +Peak combo...felt like a better deal than getting online, saved me lots of trouble with shipping also.

Ya them weird also... without amp so expensive, so might as well get with the amp.

WOOOO! infected mushroom (Y)

have u tried the denon d2000? love it with infected mushroom

No I did not : (

btw Infected mushroom was introduced to me by my friend, I usually just listen to rock and alternative, know of any other good artist in the same genre as Infected mushroom?

And in general how you guys keep your headphone? My house located quite close to a busy road so I'm worried if don't store properly dirt might enter the small holes and affect the driver. I currently just put on my table...=.=

Also how you clean the headband and ear cup cloth thingy? I applied some cream for the cut on my ear and forgot about it and put on the headphones....now got like some stain and smell...just bought somemore.

I also just bought the Essence soundcard from my friend today. How do I setup the soundcard with the amp and the headphone? What gain settings on the soundcard and the amp should I use?

The card has 3 modes, Normal Gain (0db for <64ohms), High Gain (+12db 64~300ohm) and very high gain (+18db 300~600ohm). The Peak amp has a high and low gain option.

Edited by man_in_a_ai_mec

haha yea true true..

im pretty sure what ever you choose you will love it..

till u try something better hahaha

Earpads can normally be removed easily. I washed my K701 earpads with soft detergent and warm water. If you are talking about a leather headband, then i really don't know what to do, my beyer dt990 headband got sticky after some time. couldn't get rid of the stickiness whatever i did. I tried polish, wipes and all kinds of leather solutions.

Earpads can normally be removed easily. I washed my K701 earpads with soft detergent and warm water. If you are talking about a leather headband, then i really don't know what to do, my beyer dt990 headband got sticky after some time. couldn't get rid of the stickiness whatever i did. I tried polish, wipes and all kinds of leather solutions.

Yea, I'll have to figure out how to remove the pads, stock beyer pads. Most also say soft detergent and warm water. Headband I guess have to buy new one. How long did it take for your headband to get sticky?

Hi guys just wanna check, are these amps available for audition in Singapore? And what are their prices locally?

1. Darkvoice 336i

2. the Little Dot MKIII

3. Meier Corda arietta

Want to audition them with my DT880's, might be a future upgrade after I save up.

Any other tube amps I should know of that has a good synergy with the DT880 600ohm version?

I own a dt880 and hd600 personally and i personally feel that they have their different flavours. The 880s have a relatively better high freq response but kind of messed up the instrumental seperation in my opinion. I feel that the 600s are one of the better headphones in terms of vocal and instrumental seperation and i suppose thats pretty important to audiophiles.

As to which is better that will really depend on your ears and your personal taste. But i do listen to rock and alternative as well and i find myself listening to the 600s more than the 880s. just my opinion.