Sign in to follow this  
Faileas

Pondering ipod classic alternatives...

So, while i've been using an ipod classic a while, there's certain aspects of the ipod that annoy me - itunes for one. Now, while most companies *have* decided that flash is the way to go, and that HDD based players are dinosaurs... there's still a few around.

I'm wondering if anyone's used any other *current* players (and a cost/mini review would be good) with a hard drive or more than 80 gigs of space, and your opinions on them.

Flash wouldn't be an issue, other than the rather odd criteria i have. If i'm going lossy, SQ won't be a huge criteria (in which case, the ipods are fine for most part), if i'm going lossless, i would rather the space (hell, the 80 gig minimum is cutting it rather close, since the collection i have lossy is 70ish gigs).

Other than bad reviews on reliability, the cowon x9 seems plausible - 160 gb hard drive, decent reviews on SQ, and an apparent tendancy to brick itself if you load too much music at once. I do seem to think its a wee bit more expensive than the stock ipod.

Another contender i'm looking at is rockboxing my problematic (bad sectors - working on a fix - currently trying a VERY time consuming reformat, though the rockbox dev for the ipod classic port hinted there's another possible solution) ipod, or running rockbox on the refurb model i'm using now, or getting another classic and running rockbox on it.