Sign in to follow this  
headphonecrazy

New baby + some nudes !

wow....cool...but made in Taiwan R.O.C? hmm....

headphonecrazy, but both the CU1 and CU2 are on the same board...isn't it?hehe...u took the same board lah...the other one u only snap it once...without showing us a closer look :)refer to your photos above wink.gif

wow....cool...but made in Taiwan R.O.C? hmm....

headphonecrazy, but both the CU1 and CU2 are on the same board...isn't it?hehe...u took the same board lah...the other one u only snap it once...without showing us a closer look :)refer to your photos above wink.gif

Yep, different CU of the same board.

Ops, I forgot pic of the other board.

Great pictures headphonecrazy!

One thing if I may comment regarding the volume knob, you said that zero is max and infinity is the lowest? Excuse my maths but I think that should be the other way around IMO. Maybe it's an overlooked detail during production, you might have a rare one in your hands unsure.gif

hm...limited edition?like that it would worth a lot wink.gif

i duno whether this works in hi-fi in the design smile.gif

Edited by mychew

Great pictures headphonecrazy!

One thing if I may comment regarding the volume knob, you said that zero is max and infinity is the lowest? Excuse my maths but I think that should be the other way around IMO. Maybe it's an overlooked detail during production, you might have a rare one in your hands unsure.gif

Hi,

This is correct and is actually quite common for hifi equipment which has dB markings on the volume. The dB scale on the volume is not the same dB we use to measure loudness (otherwise known as dB SPL (sound pressure level) where the higher the number, the louder it is. If I am not wrong, the markings on that volume knob indicates attenuation. At maximum volume setting, there's no attenuation (hence 0dB). As you go towards minimum, there's more attenuation to the signal, until you reach infinity attenuation (no signal).

Regards

CK

I concur with ck. AV amp's volume levels work in the same principle too; -100db (min) to 0db (max).

Hpcrazy, looking forward to your opinions on the V3 relative to its predecessors.

Excellent photos Sam. How secure are the tube sockets on the board? How easy is it to access the tubes when rolling them? Do you have to open up the whole enclosure?

Love that volume knob, not so pleased to see the off center front panel screws. I must admit the cylindrical X-cans v1 & 2 has a certain charm to it in terms of unique design. The v3 still looks handsome though.

Excellent photos Sam. How secure are the tube sockets on the board? How easy is it to access the tubes when rolling them? Do you have to open up the whole enclosure?

Love that volume knob, not so pleased to see the off center front panel screws. I must admit the cylindrical X-cans v1 & 2 has a certain charm to it in terms of unique design. The v3 still looks handsome though.

To open the can, you'll have to first remove the the screws at the back ie 4 corner self tapping screw + 1 that is fastened to the rca connectors, followed by the front screws. You can than slide the boards out from the front.

Just did a AB with Barradio's modded V2 with Mullard E88-1 and my un-mod V3 with my Holland Mullard E88CC.

The V3 has a more extended soundstage with extended highs and lows, mid range + vocals are more forward sounding. IMHO the bass is much better than V2 but a little tweaking or mod might be in order to fix the focus and speed in this range.

Mat,

The numbers on the volume knob are correct. It's got to do with level of attenuation. So 0 (Zero) db attenuation is the max (ie zero db attenuation = no attenuation). :-)

So, these type of knobs were used in attenuators of your when every db was shown. Why do they do this in a carbon pot is probably for marketing reasons (it does look cool and very lab like with all those numbers).

When copland had these on their amps they even had the minus sign on them. But then that's a copland of yore.

It made me smile. Cheers.

Edited by Rameish

Rameish, it's not Naz but Mat puzzled by the volume legends. wink.gif

Edited by Mackie

Mychew,

Don't knock made in Taiwan. They make some excellent products. So does China. This V3 looks very upgradeable becuase of the new enclosure size. I would do more than change just the tubes. I'll start at the headphone jack - there's one that just might fit - Ablaze used it in his PPA. It's a UK made one.

Edited by Rameish