Snips

Schiit Valhalla or Little Dot Mk IV for T1?

Hi snips,

For the T1, u may want to try out the LD MKIV SE(since the small price increment may get u better tubes).

The Schiit I dun think can drive them well. Alternative is the Bellari HA540..can drive phones up to 2000ohm.

T1 being 600ohm is easily driven. It uses a 12AX7 preamp tube.

Alternatively, im using Nuforce HDP for T1, this is one little wonder, all in one but it's solid state, not tube, so wont give u that vacuum coloration that u may like.

Cheers

Hi snips,

For the T1, u may want to try out the LD MKIV SE(since the small price increment may get u better tubes).

The Schiit I dun think can drive them well. Alternative is the Bellari HA540..can drive phones up to 2000ohm.

T1 being 600ohm is easily driven. It uses a 12AX7 preamp tube.

Alternatively, im using Nuforce HDP for T1, this is one little wonder, all in one but it's solid state, not tube, so wont give u that vacuum coloration that u may like.

Cheers

U can also audition Nuforce HDP at audio iconic :)

Wah seh every one diff opinions :(. Skylabs on head-fi said that the valhalla drives the t1 wonderfully, the schiit guys says so as well. One mroe guy at head-fi recommended the valhalla as well. Wish I can audition both amps side by side lol

Well at least at Audio Iconic, you can try out the schiit offerings and the nuforce hdp...

Best to audition and settle for what sounds best to you, as opinions and reviews should not be 100% trusted, since everyone's individual preferences are different...what may sound great to one may not to another.

True. :P if I want to audition both I have to go adelphi for the valhalla, then go dakota mrt to visit mr monsterlim to try out the little dot.

Good luck with your auditions...considering I might want to pick up the T1 in the near future, any feedback on amp matching preferences etc will help, individually subjective or otherwise!

The sad thing is that I can't bring either amp along with me to do a side by side comparison :(. Like that how I determine which amp I prefer? Oh well. Bo pian

Maybe you can try asking for a loaner set by leaving a deposit? Some stores will even loan eqpt for free if you are a trusted enough regular client.

Since you are probably loaning either amp for just a few hours, even a full sum of the cost of the amp as deposit for a few hours might be okay with either dealer.

Try calling up either dealer and see which one can help you out. Alternatively, if someone in the forums have either amps and is willing to help you out, all the better.

Wah seh every one diff opinions :(. Skylabs on head-fi said that the valhalla drives the t1 wonderfully, the schiit guys says so as well. One mroe guy at head-fi recommended the valhalla as well. Wish I can audition both amps side by side lol

Hey bro, dun worry man, just go audition urself, musical taste and perception is different for everyone.

The Schiit Lyr I havent tried before, but looking at its specs, may be a good bet to drive T1 or other 600ohms phones to very good levels! Heard the Valhalla and Asgard and from memory, the T1 can be driven but I felt they run out of gas to a certain degree and may not have the optimal gain to bring out its full potential. YMMV of course. Why dont u try them out and let us know. If u are testing the Lyr, look out for hum/hiss issues.

Similarly,some claim that Meier Audio Concerto can drive the T1 superbly well(on head-fi), but when i tried, i max out the volume and still cant feel the music flow and mind u i only use Nuforce HDP at 2 o'clock when driving the T1, so i dont listen at headbanging levels. Instead of counting on reviews, ur own exp after audition will be the greatest teacher and help u decide firmly regardless of what others say. Many a times, we buy some toy that others praise and end up feeling dissatisfied at the end of the day.

As a side note, if you buy the Lyr and dont like it, you can always sell it off :) to me(haha).

How about the Lyr? I find it pairs very well with the T1s. You might also want to consider a second hand meier corda concerto. Fabulous detail

Tube headphone amplifier is mesmerizing according to my experience in listening to Schiit Valhalla paired with HD600 headphone. It's pleasant distortion particularly in high frequency range can not be created by solid state amplifier. Better still Schiit VAhhalla is still quite transparent and not too warm as other tube amplifiers. The main short coming with tube amplifier (strong point of solid state amplifier) is its low output capability to drive those difficult headphones. A good compromise is hybrid amplifier where pre-amplification stage is tube and power amplification stage is solid state. It can be good long term investment if you tend to switch headphone frequently with the same amplifier.

Schiit Lyr is such hybrid headphone amplifier. Go visit Schiit website and someone claimed that it can even drive a pair of high efficient speakers. It is available for audition at Audio Iconic store in basement of Adelphi (friendly staffs). I bought the Valhalla from this store, hopefully sound signature of Lyr is close to Valhalla. These are made-in-USA headphone amplifiers with affordable prices.