Sign in to follow this  
Blues

AKG K1000 !

Rameish, this is what I posted about the K1000 on the thread posted by Tenson.

I had the good fortune to be able to buy these earspeakers from headroom for a clearance price of about US$360. At the moment you can get them from HeadRoom for US$549 (excluding FedEx international shipping) or from Meier-audio (scroll to the very bottom) for US$680/Euro620 (shipping within EC incuded)

I used them with my Naim Nait 2 integrated amp (sold of a few months back) quite successfuly albeit not to my taste probably due to lack of system synergy.

These earspeaker take a very long time to burn in I think I had it run in for about 50 hours & my colleague also burned it in a further 70 hours or so on his high end system. My impressions here are based on his Krell CDP, Audio Alchemy DAC & McCormack MID Pre & DNA poweramp.

The sound is very open, in both senses, it is airy & has 3D depth & anyone in the same room as you will hear & know what music is playing. Also not recommended for noisy conditions as it will interfere with the sound you are listening to. There is soundstage similar like speakers but it is closer infront of your face. You can adjust the soundstage positioning by moving the adjustable drivers to angle further or closer to your ears. I like the very detailed sound but at the expense of being bright (most people recommend using tubed amps to smoothen out the sound, some just play around with their other components, mainly interconnects). The bass is akin to the K501 & etys. Lean for people used to bass heavy headphones but it has very good bass extension & resonances are psychologicaly felt like on speakers as opposed to heard on headphones. Presentation is forward like the Grados.

I sold mine off because I couldn't stand prolonged listening sessions due to the bright & forward nature. They make my Grado RS-1 using the same gear sound tame!

I don't think there's anything much else I can add to the above as the last time I heard it was in Jan & Feb it was shipped to it's new owner.

Thanks for the reminder, Naz. Taking your word for it, I reckon it might not be my cup of tea as I would prefer to err towards a laidback sound than a forward and bright nature.

Tenson, it's almost impossible to demo K1000 as they are not available locally.

hrm... suddenly feel itchy to consider this again rolleyes.gif

I wonder if the cyber-30 has enough power to drive the K1000 ? unsure.gif

The reason is because I want to try and emulate speaker listening , but am unable to setup the real one coz my room just doesn't have enough space sleep.gif

Edited by Blues

Great biggrin.gif

all that is missing now is the phone itself hrm.. wacko.gifunsure.gif

Edited by Blues

Note it won't seat properly if you wear it while lying down.

Very long! It should come with the XLR to bare wire extension, total IRC is about 10~15ft.

If you do get it, get the matching watch!

Hi! Blues, if you can convince somebody to loan u an amp then you are welcome to try out the K1000 at my place. The requirement of a power amp to drive the K1000 did bother me for quite a while when I was considering buying the K1000 but Jan Meier told me the HA-2 can drive the K1000 and so I felt relieved then and bought the K1000. However the cable supplied together with K1000 only have bare wires on the signal input end and so I soldered a TRS headphone jack myself. AT present I am using a DIY K1000 4-pin XLR to TRS cable using Sonicart, a silver coated copper speaker cable in a very short 1 ft length.

Rameish may be coming to my place with his Cai Yin to test out the K1000. I am really curious to find out the synergy between a tube amp the K1000.

I do own a NAD320BEE but no time to try out the K1000 with it.

I managed to get the K1000 at a good price through the contacts of my hifi kaki and if you place order with the local agent Asia Sound it may take about a month to receive the headphone as they do not carry stock. Hungs Brother did quote me a good price but I not sure they get from Asia Sound or parallel import so I finally got from Asia Sound and they happened to have a unit in warehouse for some reasons and I got my in few days time.

How much did you get the K1000 for? If you can't disclose it here PM me.