Sign in to follow this  
metrablue

Linking a music database to different area of the house

Hi guys,

need a bit of help here. There's the scenario:

I'm thinking of linking up 3 areas (1 living room and 2 bedrooms) with a centralised digital music "server". The living room will have the sound system (source --> pre-amp -->power amp --> speakers). Source-wise will include vinyl player, cd player and digital server/HDD. It would be good (but not a must) if the server unit has capability to link up to online music services such as pandora or rhapsody as well as a internet radio.

As for the 2 bedrooms, i would like to link the server to the two bedroom, preferably via wireless medium. The catch is that there could be a possibility that 3 area are playing different music at the same time, from the same centralised server.

I would like to ask for recommendation on how to put this system together, either DIY or through commercially available product.

Thanks guys in advance!!

Squeezebox was in the limelight a couple of years ago and I was wondering if there are any better contenders these days??

At the same time, I considered linking via Windows Vista's network but my dad is a mac user, so might be a little tricky.

Thanks heady!!

I looked at Airplay and realise that it requires AV receiver/speakers to to Airplay compliant, I realise the workaround would be to purchase Airport Express from apple, but the only drawback would be the the 3.5mm jack. It mentions the digital optical sound, which i assume should be miniTOS.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

I was window-shopping in Adelphi and found another brand known as Orbs. It is cheaper than the Sonos and it has the capability to wirelessly stream not only music, but movies as well using apple iphone etc/ Andriod as the controller. At the same time, the Orbs has a product known as Orbs Live which allows streaming of movies and music over the mobile phone anywhere. Pretty nifty. The greatest drawback is the fact that the Orbs is the headphone out from the Orbs MP-1.

http://www.orb.com/en.html

Instead of Airport Express, you could consider using Apple TV. It does have optical out and if JB, could double as streaming media player through XBMC. Think this way, the receiver dun need to be Airplay compliant.