Pani

Neutral Full Range Headphones - Suggestions please

i do know that you do have a hd800,but it is just me,that do not find the sound to be even similar sounding... :doh: and plus maybe i dun EQ my stuffs..just listen to its original sound..if i had to EQ it,then i will not buy it in the first place..just choose another stuff to buy..but again it is just me...my taste and thinking belong to the weird side..for the m80,on instrumental music..it does not ven come close to my old 701,needless to say 800 :no::no::no:

It add midrange warmth to the akg also the akg sound more liquid rather than its pairing with alot of other amp that make it sound dry..but i would recommend heedcanamp for you :thumbup::dance:

but if you are saying that at 200usd price range..it does sound good but not a match to 800 for me.. :o:o:o it is still not easy to compete the on ear with full size.. :party:

See, the thing is, it's not just you and me. Hundreds of people will read this, and maybe I can save them hundreds of dollars with a headphone that does sound similar to the HD800 (as it does to me), for a fraction of the price.

I understand the points that you are saying bro,but the differences is just too big for me,the bass from the m80 is already so different to my ears compare to the hd800..the m80 have too much emphasis on the bass and too too much bass plus the treble roll off too,needless to compare the stagesound too,although the m80 does sound good in its own price range :whistle:

I assume when you compared you did not use an iPod Touch with Treble Boost for the M80 and flat for the HD800, yes? That's how I did, and the bass is the same. I can run it again, but I will get the same result.

I should also mention that the M80 is a tricky fit since the earcups don't swivel, and my ears are slightly rotated toward the front by a degree or two. In warm weather they seal in about 30 seconds to a minute, but it takes maybe 3 minutes in cool weather. If you get too tight of a seal and the bass is too heavy, you might try stretching the headband. But more likely the solution is the treble boost, since they need that to get closer to a hi-fi sound.

I did not even try the hd800 out of the ipod touch as it just dun justify testing the full sized headphone with an ipod touch,confirm not listening to it at its potential while the m80 i am listening to it flat from clip+ but well,i belong to those who listen everything flat and wun bother to eq them..cause eq cause the sound to be over emphasis and not original anymore..that is why i told u i am very different. :rolleyes:

on a side note,i do have a very very big head and big pair of ears too,so the m80 actually dun even seal well for me,but the amount of bass is just too too much to take it for me..the treble being rolled off to start with,to me already dun have much potential even with treble boost..i can try out later as i will be meeting my uncle and he does have one set for me to test with..will get back about what i find when i treble boost it..but can be quite sure that it wun be much diff from my initial judgement now.. :innocent:

If you are just using the hd800 with your ipod touch,then we can just really :b2t as it is not a comparison on the same level that we are having discussion to begin with :party:

I don't have to say I disagree with this, because I have many years experience with the best headphones, the best amps, and other stereo gear. I can tell you that the HD-800 sounds almost exactly the same from my iPod Touch as it does from my desktop Class A headphone amp. You get a tiny bit tighter bass and a tiny bit more high frequency extension with the desktop amp, and that is it. Period. Your refusal to even acknowledge the expert tests I did (let alone do the tests yourself) disqualifies you from being able to make any judgement.

You even post "rolleyes" while you have no idea about how these items sound. Does that make your post look better to other people, when you claim ignorance and also better informed in the same paragraph? I don't know about you, but where I come from ignorance is not the point from which we post "rolleyes" as though we know better. When you are able to post notice of a music track you tested with these headphones, and where you found (as you said) a huge difference in the bass, I will buy the track from Amazon or wherever and test it myself, and report the results to the readers here.

BTW, I have taken these challenges before, and I am going to perform these tests, not just claim I know something that I don't know.

I don't have to say I disagree with this, because I have many years experience with the best headphones, the best amps, and other stereo gear. I can tell you that the HD-800 sounds almost exactly the same from my iPod Touch as it does from my desktop Class A headphone amp. You get a tiny bit tighter bass and a tiny bit more high frequency extension with the desktop amp, and that is it. Period. Your refusal to even acknowledge the expert tests I did (let alone do the tests yourself) disqualifies you from being able to make any judgement.

You even post "rolleyes" while you have no idea about how these items sound. Does that make your post look better to other people, when you claim ignorance and also better informed in the same paragraph? I don't know about you, but where I come from ignorance is not the point from which we post "rolleyes" as though we know better. When you are able to post notice of a music track you tested with these headphones, and where you found (as you said) a huge difference in the bass, I will buy the track from Amazon or wherever and test it myself, and report the results to the readers here.

BTW, I have taken these challenges before, and I am going to perform these tests, not just claim I know something that I don't know.

Well bro dale,i dare not say that i have alot of experiences with the best headphones,amps nor other stereo gears as i am only in my 20s,but i believed that i do have enough experiences through my 7 yrs of testings in the audio world..had the chance to meet many many friendly audiophiles where they allowed me to test their system..you might claim that i myself have no idea how these items sound but i myself tested these items over and over again to come out with these findings from my side.

On a side note,those are just emoticons/smilies,i seriously do not know the reason why are you sort of "pissed off" with what i posted..i am not trying to make my post look better to other people anyway with my post,just having some discussion on the differences findings that we share with the stuffs.

I respect everyone on their audio findings for sure bro dale,anyway..i do enjoyed what you posted in your own website for the reviews of different headphones and earpieces too..but the point that spark off the challenge that you want to take up will,me saying that you are not hearing the hd800 at its best with the setup you listen to and also that it is not fair to compare both m80 and hd800 with just the ipod touch and eq..that is just what i find with your comparison.

I did not even say that your testing is not professional to begin with?no?i am barely saying thay my kind of comparison different from yours and would like to share what is my thoughts about what you posted..nothing else,not here to pick a fight as i do respect every single audiophile's thinkings,but why can't we be more open up to discussion in a more peaceful term?rather that challenging each other.

BTW,my genre belong to classical,jazz,female vocals and opera,musical play..i always believed that i myself is very different from any other audiophile out there because till now i cannot find anyone that listen to my type of genre in singapore..and that my thinkings and findings differ alot from normal guys out there who listen to much much more basic music and not as complicated like what i listen and keep my references to..classical music which i do not claim to be good with but at least i am different from others out there. :party::holiday::grin:

As I said previously, my intent is to help other people, not you since you already have your mind made up, as you indicated when you said you played the M80 "flat" only. So why would you want to argue further? I want other users to try what I did, so that they can prove to themself that they can get 90 percent of the performance of the HD800 for 10 percent of the cost. But I get the idea you have objections to that which go beyond merely differing in opinion. Are you willing to let other users try my suggestions?

the shure 940 is noted for being a very neutral headphones if anyone is still interested in looking for one. as a rough indication, think somewhere inbetween akg701/2 and hd800.

Well bro dale,i dare not say that i have alot of experiences with the best headphones,amps nor other stereo gears as i am only in my 20s,but i believed that i do have enough experiences through my 7 yrs of testings in the audio world..had the chance to meet many many friendly audiophiles where they allowed me to test their system..you might claim that i myself have no idea how these items sound but i myself tested these items over and over again to come out with these findings from my side.

On a side note,those are just emoticons/smilies,i seriously do not know the reason why are you sort of "pissed off" with what i posted..i am not trying to make my post look better to other people anyway with my post,just having some discussion on the differences findings that we share with the stuffs.

I respect everyone on their audio findings for sure bro dale,anyway..i do enjoyed what you posted in your own website for the reviews of different headphones and earpieces too..but the point that spark off the challenge that you want to take up will,me saying that you are not hearing the hd800 at its best with the setup you listen to and also that it is not fair to compare both m80 and hd800 with just the ipod touch and eq..that is just what i find with your comparison.

I did not even say that your testing is not professional to begin with?no?i am barely saying thay my kind of comparison different from yours and would like to share what is my thoughts about what you posted..nothing else,not here to pick a fight as i do respect every single audiophile's thinkings,but why can't we be more open up to discussion in a more peaceful term?rather that challenging each other.

BTW,my genre belong to classical,jazz,female vocals and opera,musical play..i always believed that i myself is very different from any other audiophile out there because till now i cannot find anyone that listen to my type of genre in singapore..and that my thinkings and findings differ alot from normal guys out there who listen to much much more basic music and not as complicated like what i listen and keep my references to..classical music which i do not claim to be good with but at least i am different from others out there. :party::holiday::grin:

Not the only one who listens to all those genres, I listen to even more than those and 7 years is short compared to my 20+ years and I'm sure Dale has much more years than me on Stereos and Headgears, HD800 is sensitive enough to play from the iPod, why Dale has kept it a simple setup to my understanding is to avoid added colourations from amps, his iPod also goes with him wherever he goes and that is good when you use that to demo gears too. To gain a minute fraction in SQ compared to pricing is like betting on a quartet with 4 horses only.

Not the only one who listens to all those genres, I listen to even more than those and 7 years is short compared to my 20+ years and I'm sure Dale has much more years than me on Stereos and Headgears, HD800 is sensitive enough to play from the iPod, why Dale has kept it a simple setup to my understanding is to avoid added colourations from amps, his iPod also goes with him wherever he goes and that is good when you use that to demo gears too. To gain a minute fraction in SQ compared to pricing is like betting on a quartet with 4 horses only.

When we did this one at head-fi (and that one got me the second boot), the OP asked if he should just go ahead and buy the HD-800 and worry about the amp later. So I thought about that for, oh, about 1/30 second, and said "Yes" - if you have the money, get the HD-800 now if you have to play it off of a $5 PMP. You'll get an amp soon enough and you won't have to worry about your headphone for a long, long time. But the guys there, they had a toe-hold on something they could start a war with. And so it was "No" - don't get the HD-800, get something cheap and work your way up. Now one thing is true - you buy a Porsche, a Rolex, a Leica M-camera, you're looking at some maintenance time and dollars for those items, not so long after the sale. But with the Sennheiser HD-800, there's no maintenance. Buy once and you're done. So I figured my advice was reasonable. And what do I know anyway? I just buy the stuff and do the best I can with it. Am I supposed to believe everything the manufacturer says? Or what head-fi says (gasp)? No, some lessons you have to learn the hard way. But that OP guy, he might have a rich uncle who will buy him the Stax SR-009 when he gets tired of the HD-800. It could happen. Hasn't happened to me, though.

When we did this one at head-fi (and that one got me the second boot), the OP asked if he should just go ahead and buy the HD-800 and worry about the amp later. So I thought about that for, oh, about 1/30 second, and said "Yes" - if you have the money, get the HD-800 now if you have to play it off of a $5 PMP. You'll get an amp soon enough and you won't have to worry about your headphone for a long, long time. But the guys there, they had a toe-hold on something they could start a war with. And so it was "No" - don't get the HD-800, get something cheap and work your way up. Now one thing is true - you buy a Porsche, a Rolex, a Leica M-camera, you're looking at some maintenance time and dollars for those items, not so long after the sale. But with the Sennheiser HD-800, there's no maintenance. Buy once and you're done. So I figured my advice was reasonable. And what do I know anyway? I just buy the stuff and do the best I can with it. Am I supposed to believe everything the manufacturer says? Or what head-fi says (gasp)? No, some lessons you have to learn the hard way. But that OP guy, he might have a rich uncle who will buy him the Stax SR-009 when he gets tired of the HD-800. It could happen. Hasn't happened to me, though.

Were those guys protecting their space? I mean they should welcome another owner of the HD800 club even though he hasn't got a ß22 or a GSX, Everybody has a right to choose their poison, really don't understand them at all. Or is there another agenda altogether, lol.

Were those guys protecting their space? I mean they should welcome another owner of the HD800 club even though he hasn't got a ß22 or a GSX, Everybody has a right to choose their poison, really don't understand them at all. Or is there another agenda altogether, lol.

Here's the jerk's response to, er, 'badbob' who I don't know personally, but we share a common philosophy. I remember it clearly, and their main intent was to sell gear, particularly amplifiers. Maybe they don't get enough kickback from Sennheiser, so they push the other stuff more. This was not one of the big moderators either, just some irritant. BTW, trolling or attacking vinyl users is laughable. Still, they banned 'badbob' immediately.

-----------------------------------------------

Alright 'badbob' who joined 10 days ago.  Since you have failed

to engage any one of my arguments in the last few pages, won't take the silliness to PM, have been trolling

the thread all day and are now making random OT attacks about vinyl users.  Reported.

Dale Thorn (that's me) was banned from head-fi because I posted in the Sound Science section that double-blind tests are not necessarily valid, because of the subliminal "off-center" hearing effect. The term "off-center" is something I made up based on something we learned in the U.S. Army, i.e. "off-center" vision. That's a real science, not a theory BTW. It's well known that at night when there's no moon or artificial light source, you can still see faint outlines of things and movements, if you don't look directly at things and stare. You learn to look off-center. Hearing, hi-fi hearing works similarly. If you listen to specific sounds in a double-blind test, you will only be able to report what you hear consciously and directly. But when you're on your own and relaxed, and listening to music, you will often hear things that you hadn't noticed before, and when you try to compare those things with different gear, often times you won't be able to hear any differences. I think there are some people in the hi-fi business who have developed the ability to hear some of those things consciously that I hear only subliminally, or "off-center" so to speak, but how they develop that skill I don't know. So far it hasn't been important for me to try to get that ability. What I heard comparing the HD-800 and the SRH-940 wasn't intended to convince anyone to toss their HD-800's or sell them, since I didn't dump mine. I was just reporting the similarities. The major differences were noted right away, and other small differences were reported when people requested specific comparisons. But the bad guys saw an excuse to post a lot of animosity, so one of the ways they justified that was using the amped-vs-nonamped excuse.

So it''s been said that any audio tests have been far from successful, being that all were either guessing the difference and luckily got it right or truly could hear and differentiate them.

A forum is supposed to be open to ideas and not a win lose situation, it's suppose to share experiences and knowledge, of course the reader should not believe everything written to be the end all.

Tests should be made with your personal music source, a piece that you know inside out, being able to use that to judge for yourself what differences there are and come to a conclusion, but in the real world situation, blind tests etc, you can't do that and to make note while you go along is difficult.