londonbowler

Advice in insane trade-in policy for defective Shure SE530 (to SE535)

I think Shure's support in Singapore is ridiculous.

I received a pair of Shure SE530s as a gift from a relative in the United States last year. The wire split earlier this year and the sound usually goes out in one or both earbuds, especially while you are walking. I understand this is a common defect for Shure SE530s and Shure claims the earbuds cannot be repaired even if it is just the connecting wire that is damaged.

I doubt this relative kept any receipts and I am not going to make him feel bad by reporting that the earphones are damaged and asking for his help to contact the US retailer he got them from (who might not be an official retailer of Shure).

Shure Singapore says I can trade in the damaged SE530s for new SE535s if I pay them S$438 (or over US$300), which is more than half the price of a new pair. They say they cannot replace the SE530s because the model is out of production.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Do I have no choice but to let Shure Singapore rob me blind so I can have earbuds again?

Indeed the SE530 is discontinued and replaced by the SE 535. But the sound signature differs. I doubt they have any more stocks or spare parts of the SE530. But I do agree with you that the amount quoted is ridiculous.

If you do like the sound signature of your SE530, perhaps you can consider reshelling them into custom. The overall cost should be less than S$438, depending on who you go to. There are several options:

AudioHub

Stereo (UM)

Stage93

Hope this helps

Bro, I've been trying to look for information on reshelling because I don't know what it is. I can't find anything.

Can you tell me where to look for an overview about reshelling and what it involves?

Why do you think reshelling is better than buying new earbuds (other than the price of course)?

If u r situated in sg, head down to stereo either @ plaza sing or causeway point. Have a chat w the friendly guys there, they can tell u the A-Z of reshelling

I made a couple of calls and I think reshelling will cost over S$300, counting audiologist and shippipng. At this rate, I wonder if it's better to just actualy trade in for new SE535s for S$100+ more.

I think everyone in Singapore just ships to China. Can you save money and get the same result by doing the open jaw ear molding yourself and sending to China yourself or sending to Unique Melody in Australia yourself?

I made a couple of calls and I think reshelling will cost over S$300, counting audiologist and shippipng. At this rate, I wonder if it's better to just actualy trade in for new SE535s for S$100+ more.

I think everyone in Singapore just ships to China. Can you save money and get the same result by doing the open jaw ear molding yourself and sending to China yourself or sending to Unique Melody in Australia yourself?

Hello londonbowler,

Sorry for the super late reply as I've been away for quite some time.

We are the authorized local dealer for Unique Melody in Singapore and the price quoted to you is estimated accurate. I believe if you were to deal with UM Aussie, it might cost a little more.

Just take into consideration that the sound signature of the Shure SE530 and Shure SE535 is slightly different and most people who loved the Shure original sound signature prefer the SE530 as well.

Why not take the plunge and reshell ( a process whereby the company removes the drivers from the earphone itself and place it according to the user's earmould shape ) and continue to legacy of the SE530? :drool:

Do keep yourself updated with up to date news from us at our Facebook fanpage HERE

Cheers,

brian @ stereo plaza singapura