heady

Best headphones in the world?

I'm thinking the FiiO E17 would be a great match for the DT48, A or E.

I will try that if the stores has one for audition. Why do you suspect so?

I will try that if the stores has one for audition. Why do you suspect so?

I don't hear the harshness with the E17 that I get with the Audioengine D1 or the Headstreamer. And yet the E17 does not lack detail. It just sounds a little better, although the bigger soundstage of the other two may just be artifacts of boosted highs.

I don't hear the harshness with the E17 that I get with the Audioengine D1 or the Headstreamer. And yet the E17 does not lack detail. It just sounds a little better, although the bigger soundstage of the other two may just be artifacts of boosted highs.

Noted on that, also agree on boosted highs relate to soundstage to a certain extent.

so with regards to the e17, the pairing is good as a dac or amp only or both?

As a DAC plus headphone amp from the computer compared to headphone amp only from a ipod/iphone LOD, there's little or no difference I can detect. The DAC should be better, but it's already very good so the only way I think you could do better is a very pricy DAC and amp. The Audioengine D1 or Headstreamer or Dragonfly or the rPAC might be better, but those last two are $250 USD and I haven't tried them, so I don't know yet, until tomorrow anyway. I think the first two are slightly better, but I would need more testing to be sure. Still, the E17 offers better features and portability and sound quality than anything else so comparing the E17 to desktop DACs, even low priced desktop DACs, might not be appropriate. If I could only have one it would be the E17 - easy decision.

hehe bro dale tts gd to know

e17 does have the added advantage of being portable i would say

and sq does have an effect of increasing price to value ratio

I have tried Nekatrall's DT48A, the difference in the SQ is that the treble seems more outstandish, midrange seems farther and that is because the ear pads are different, it has more distance due to the air cushion effect and the recess is also larger, thus the distance of the drivers to the ears are further than mine, i bought my pads from a UK seller and they do rest closer, pressing the DT48A that Nekatrall had to the extreme provided the similar DT48A sound that i know so well. Bass is also better on my pads and greater on the Flat vinyl ovals that came with my vintage E.

tried maniacal71 dt48e today. somehow it sounds as tho slightly bigger soundstage compared to the A

It's just the difference in the pads. He probably changed something, but even then they change anyway.

could be bro dalethorn

but it does sound different, unlike maniacal my ears do get close enough to the drivers when i use his dt48a or the 2011 dt48a with the pads, sound wise similar

but with dt48e it does sound different

will do more comparison when i have the time

Well, the 25Ω DT48E is a vintage and doesn't sound like the New DT48E, it has a mid centric sound, of all the DT48 series, these have more of the magical mids, the position is clearly central at the singer's microphone position, then the rest fall around it like a 3D bubble effect. I will let Nekatrall try them all again when his amp has been fixed.

had a listen to the famed nagras today :D

txs maniacal71

IPB Image

amazing clarity and sound

all just from a small sansa clip zip

the super soft pads also helped alot for a full isolation :D

I had this model headphone, bought new at the same time as two other DT-48's, so I had 3 total, one silver 8 ohms, one black 25 ohms, one black 200 ohms. All sounded the same when the same earpads were used. But it's also possible that long before 1974 when I got mine (and the 1974's are the same as today's, 38 years later), back in the 1960's, that some of the DT-48's were not tuned for audiometry. Back then they may actually have made different drivers for different purposes. From 1974 onward they have not.