heady

Best headphones in the world?

i wonder how do they make the diff impedances on the drivers?

Very good question. The magnets and voice coils would be the same.

could it be stronger magnets? thicker coils? addition of resistors?

No idea how they do it, but supposedly all impedances have to meet the DIN standard and I assume that means they have to sound the same. I have a feeling the drivers do all sound the same at least from 1974 on, but I think people way underestimate the influence of the earpads. The new oval earpads reduce the efficiency of the DT48 by many decibels compared to the original oval pads. You can hear the enormous difference by trying the round pads first then switch to the oval pads. The volume drops a lot!

Just in case I didn't mention it to the other guys, if I could get what I want I would want to get the exact same oval pads they had in 1974, and then I would try out some simple EQ curves to suppress the midrange very slightly, which I think would result in better sound with less resonance than the current DT48 oval pads gives. That's because the DT48 has the best and clearest midrange tonality in the world.

listening to the dt880 (250ohm) it sounds like the dt48a but with more lows hahaha

txs maniacal71 for lending me the dt880

Edited by nekatrall

As the title suggest best headphones it the world for me it has to be the STAX SR009 in my mind are the best I have heard with a woo audio wa22.

Click on the reviews here and read the review by 'Audiophath' where he mentions electrostatics. That's the key to understanding the world of DT-48. But I agree that the SR-009 wins on technicals. Unfortunately I was not able to find a more ideal earpad for my DT-48's, to get a smoother sound.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2720...Headphones.html

but ur comparing with stax with synergy on woo audio

im pairing my dt48s with all sorts of stuff,

well one thing u dont require an amp to run it

its neutral so any eq would achieve what ever sound want to achieve

and its portable too

and like the title suggest

mine is just the headphones

almost forgot it doesnt cost me thousands of bucks :D

but ur comparing with stax with synergy on woo audio

im pairing my dt48s with all sorts of stuff,

well one thing u dont require an amp to run it

its neutral so any eq would achieve what ever sound want to achieve

and its portable too

and like the title suggest

mine is just the headphones

almost forgot it doesnt cost me thousands of bucks :D

You can add to that the unusual driver like nothing else ever made since. In the world of large loudspeakers, there are electrostatics and there are some really advanced horn systems that are extremely efficient. I see the DT-48's as more like a high quality horn system, and you just can't understand the thrill of it until you've heard one properly set up (horn speakers, or DT-48 headphones).

I was having a conversation earlier today, not so much about which specific headphone is best, but which design approach is best, and which headphones are the ultimate realization of those designs. Mostly the conversation came down to which is best: The most accurate or the most musical. I will have to leave that to other people to explain, since I've heard some examples of both approaches, and I don't have a firm opinion myself.

Now, 6 years and 160 headphone reviews later, I have some opinions. So far, I haven't heard a planar that can resolve high frequency harmonics anywhere near as well as the Sennheiser HD800. But today we have some hybrid designs, like the Final Audio Sonorous VI that has the large dynamc driver as well as a balanced armature. I don't know whether anyone is making a planar that also contains a small high-frequency driver.