Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Looking for this CD

I have two CDs with the DSD+SBM mastering. 'Voyage 2 - The Essential World Beat Collection' & 'Various artists - More Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps 40 everlasting gems'. I might give these a spin tonight or tomorrow night.

The sound seems airier but in terms of overall sound quality I can't hear much difference. Probably because I only have a few songs on the normal format I can compare them with.

However I completely agree it has a hypnotic, trance effect. But personally I feel the effect is part of the music?s Uniqueness!

Well if you say so. Perhaps it sort of an effect that was "by luck" because many other rock albums that do not have these layered guitar have this problem. I guess it sounds worse on those albums. Well you can take a look at the vapour trails CD of "Rush". That one is really badly clipped. I don't like that trance effect, because I like the songs so much. And when I try to listen to them in order to relive some stress, getting myself ready to study later, I actually become so tired, wanting to fall asleep. BAD lol.gif

And yah, its not really recording problem. Its the mastering when they try to squeeze out more volume. The recoring is great IMO, just that they try to squeeze too much volume out. Well not as much as vapour trails of Rush. biggrin.gif

Edited by lekguan

CDs are the kind of stuff which are generally "the older the better" (especially true for rock). Vinyl even better. Well perhaps that explains why this CD has good dynamics. Because its OLD!

You can't generalise 'the older the better'. What should apply is the quality of original master recording and how it is transposed into the format.

However the quality on some compilation CD nowadays do tend to sound pretty bad compared to if you bought one of the songs from it's original album. It's down to the recording company's 'Marketing Strategy' too.

Well, older is not equivalent to better. But due to the trend of companies now, where since LOUD = good, LOUDER = better, and so they just keep taming the peaks, squeeze more volume in, causing more clippings. Recording has never been a problem. Might have even improved. Its when they try to squeeze out more volume.

The stupid thing is, it's for the people who listen in their cars going *BOOM BOOM BOOM* that they do it! When they have their 1,000Watt amps why can't they just turn the volume up a bit more?! mad.gif