Plock

To Amp, or Not to Amp ?

Well then it shouldn't be much of a problem there, as long as its not too much emphasized, a little colouration from a tube amp would be acceptable as it would sound dry, but then again the ultimate goal of a true Audiophile are is to listen to the most linear and purest form which is quite difficult to attain anyway imo. By listening to natural acoustic recording, you will notice that mids will always be the focal point and the highs and lows recessed in the background. Mid frequency are naturally more audible to human ears. Bass sound on a headphones should not have vibrations as compared to speaker bass, just the sound of say a 20 hz tone.

@Alakazam, Warm and creamy sounds nice, that's just how I like my cuppa kopi. LCD2 too laid back for my taste cos I want front row seats or to be with the band.

@Nekkrit, Thumping hmmm, have you tried fixing up the headphone amp output to an amp and a subwoofer? Actually thumping for me would point towards the midbass, if you EQ just around the 100hz region you would probably get what you prefer. Or just get Senns ii series, they all have that inherent.

if lcd-2 too laid back... dun get warm and creamy tubes...

if lcd-2 too laid back... dun get warm and creamy tubes...

Please don't be offended, It's a good set of headphones, dark to me. Like the preference goes. Have you decided on the LCD3 yet? There is such a hoohah over the pricing right now. If you can PM me, I have a set of headphones that you might like and its cheap, dirt cheap.

Please don't be offended, It's a good set of headphones, dark to me. Like the preference goes. Have you decided on the LCD3 yet? There is such a hoohah over the pricing right now. If you can PM me, I have a set of headphones that you might like and its cheap, dirt cheap.

state it here :) or just pm me

i believe tt there is no target for any audiophile to reach but his own audio preference

but most ppl would state tt getting linear form of sound

to each is still his own

and i beg to differ tt humans hear more mid frequency as shown in this graph

http://www.lafavre.us/hearing-curves.jpg

we do hear lows and highs louder

That graph shows you how much DB you will need to attain for each frequency, so it should be read upside down.

Do a sound sweep test on youtube and you will understand better.

Edited by Maniacal71

either way... more like im lazy to put up an case

which means u need to increase the lows and highs to compete with the mids

u can say linear is an audiophiles dream

but still to each his own sound sig

which i believe is another side of an audiophiles dream

Edited by nekatrall

either way... more like im lazy to put up an case

u can nvr say linear is an audiophiles dream

cos to each his own sound sig

Its not a debate to see who wins or loses, we are just sharing, thats what forums are for.

Yes to each his own, I would have to agree as different agendas for everyone.

I have a real problem with "To each his own sound sig". Here are some issues:

Where do I get "my" sound sig? Do I create it? (no). Do I buy tons of gear until I find something close? (no). Do I look for something neutral and uncolored that will play well with all of my music, some better than others maybe, but on average play better with most? (this seems like the most logical idea.)

I want to spend my valuable time searching for better, less colored equipment that I can afford. Spending my time researching and testing more colored gear doesn't make sense, and in fact it aggravates me to no end. This is 2011, the 21st century. We should have this stuff figured out by now.

I agree that nothing is perfect in the actual equipment, but there is something perfect here that's not always agreed on. That perfect thing is the perfect idea: To pick my sound based on the recordings, not the gear. Let the gear be neutral and play the recordings without adding unnecessary "equipment sound". That's what high fidelity means. If you don't want that, just say "I prefer low fidelity."

Haha Dale, It's really difficult nowadays to instill the True Audiophile agenda anymore, the majority want musically colored fantastic wow cans and the gears to go with that. We are dinosaurs, you know that song by Ke$ha "D-I-N-O-S-A-U-R a Dinosaur" lol.

It just doesn't kick in to New Age Audiophiles anymore. Somehow basics just get lost along the way IMHO.

Edited by Maniacal71

i believe hifi leads to clarity of sound without buzzing or clipping

u cant really create yr own sound sig but find a sound sig u like

and the truth is that most times the journey to perfection is more fun than the end

sorry if i sound too fierce

Edited by nekatrall

i believe hifi leads to clarity of sound without buzzing or clipping

u cant really create yr own sound sig but find a sound sig u like

and the truth is that most times the journey to perfection is more fun than the end

What Dale and I are saying is that the recording is important, you need to be faithful to it, if it is good it sounds good, vice versa. So a colored gear will make that lousy recording sound good and normally with a U or V Eq. Bass and highs with mids recessed, some headphones/Amp create a spatial sound, which is abnormal for a certain recording, for lets say a studio recording.

The Audiophile's creed is "To be faithful to the recordings".

btw what is senns II series, most senns i hear got this veil

Am referring to the PX100 ii, veil can be removed by doing a quarter mod, that is cutting a hole in the middle of each pad cloth. or a Kramer mod, depending on the hole position, the veil mostly is some kind of sound filter. As in the case of HD650, the front and back foams are to be removed.

edit, as for the IE8 so far no news, but good news is that while comparing my IE80 the veil is gone.

Edited by Maniacal71

Here's a good reference on sound that people like, or find that the sound is "fun".

Google "Console stereo" - the big furniture stereos of the 1950's and 60's. These were designed to play the new stereo LP records, and they were designed to appeal to non-hifi purists, i.e. people like my parents and millions of others who wanted a "fun" sound, not a purist hifi sound.

And these consoles were great fun, but they were blasted by the hifi press for what were obvious reasons then, but now, the animal flesh is creeping back, to use an expression from the classic movie Island of Lost Souls.

And while you're at it, look up "semi-classical" music too - Mantovani and others - also designed with console stereos and LP (vinyl) records in mind. Much "fun" that music was, but ultimately left you with a hunger for the real thing.