Plock

To Amp, or Not to Amp ?

Here's a good reference on sound that people like, or find that the sound is "fun".

Google "Console stereo" - the big furniture stereos of the 1950's and 60's. These were designed to play the new stereo LP records, and they were designed to appeal to non-hifi purists, i.e. people like my parents and millions of others who wanted a "fun" sound, not a purist hifi sound.

And these consoles were great fun, but they were blasted by the hifi press for what were obvious reasons then, but now, the animal flesh is creeping back, to use an expression from the classic movie Island of Lost Souls.

And while you're at it, look up "semi-classical" music too - Mantovani and others - also designed with console stereos and LP (vinyl) records in mind. Much "fun" that music was, but ultimately left you with a hunger for the real thing.

Here is a PDF that refers to the Audiophile, good read too.

The Audiophile

what i dont get till now is when ppl describe fun sounding

That mostly refers to colourations to give the wow factor, being said that makes all good or bad recordings sound fantastic, so its like adding a house sound no matter what. House sound as in inherent always.

haha still a hit or miss

Not really, if you compare 128kbps or lower recordings with Flac or 320kbps but of course compressed from the original CD, or even SACD. Compare them on that colored gear and you would find that they still sound good or fantastic, then there it is, but if you try the lower quality on linear gears, you will find that the recordings differ and may sound irritable and lacking.

Edited by Maniacal71

The main thing is, if you have good neutral gear, there is a better chance of any song you have of sounding better with that gear than with gear that has major colorations. For instance, if most or all of your songs are one genre like Rock Steady, then your gear could sound good with that, if you find something that fits. But if you have many genres, then you would probably need multiple headphones and maybe amps, so you can match all of your music to the colorations of your gear. Or you could get hifi gear that adapts to most of your music and you don't have to switch gear or maintain multiples. I have several headphones, and try new ones sometimes, but not because I'm trying lofi stuff on purpose. I want to try different flavors, minor colorations OK, but I stay way away from the stuff that's not trying to have good sound. When I see something described as "fun" sound, that's usually a signal that the colorations are strong.

well dont really like low bit rates its damn bad no matter how gd the house sound is

can tell there is sth missing

The Goldring DR150 is not too bad it is touted to be like a HD650 but I tried and didn't think so, another would be the Philips SHP895 which is even cheaper but more linear

goldring dr150 i bought for fun cos it was a cheap demo set

but i cant really say much abt hd650 cos nvr heard it b4

In any case the Goldring and the Vintage Pioneer are good cans to start with.

I am new to the forum.

Just recently got back home from SG with a Just Audio uHA-120. I chose because of how neutral the amp is.

Very happy owner of this little amp. I was being given in Jaben the Graham Slee Voyager yet for some reason the coloration was to thick for me.

My player is ok without amp. But I like how the uHA cleans/filters peaky frequencies.

I set the Gain switch to Low Setting since I am using low impedance hp, the Philips SHP895 and the J-Sta.

I am new to the forum.

Just recently got back home from SG with a Just Audio uHA-120. I chose because of how neutral the amp is.

Very happy owner of this little amp. I was being given in Jaben the Graham Slee Voyager yet for some reason the coloration was to thick for me.

My player is ok without amp. But I like how the uHA cleans/filters peaky frequencies.

I set the Gain switch to Low Setting since I am using low impedance hp, the Philips SHP895 and the J-Sta.

The guys here have no idea what the J-Sta is, I'm keeping it only at Headphiles for the moment.

The guys here have no idea what the J-Sta is, I'm keeping it only at Headphiles for the moment.

Ok. Those are the mystery headphones that I fell for. :lust: