Uziel126

Bluetooth vs Wired headphones

I'm thinking of buying earphones/headphones for my phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy S (i9000).

I was wondering about whether I would notice any quality drop if I were to get a bluetooth set instead of wired, as I have read about bluetooth headsets having audio glitches such as tinny sound, dropped calls etc. Then again going wireless would be great for me, as I have terrible cable management skills.

System info:

My current player is a Samsung GT-i9000, it ships with a Wolfson WM8994 audio chip. I use Voodoo sound drivers (additional info here: http://soundexpert.org/news/-/blogs/audio-...ty-of-galaxy-s)

Audio file types: By and large .mp3 at 128 kbps, but I do have a sizable number of .ogg files. I do have a number of files ripped at 192 kbps too.

Type of music: Progressive rock/metal, symphonic metal, indie rock, alternative.

Budget: I'm willing to pay up to 200

I hope this information is enough, until now I've only had enough to buy cheap earphones, but they never last. I'm hoping to get a better track record with the next one.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey thanks for the reply, so bluetooth headsets aren't quite there yet? Do you know of any shops that allow testing? I went down to funan a couple of times but I only see wired headsets for testing...

If you are a serious music lover, don't waste your time looking for a suitable bluetooth headset. Because there are none. The sound quality sucks ! Vs wired sets. The technology is still a Work-In-Progress and has still a lot of ground to cover.

My recommendation would be wired not because bluetooth for your case wouldn't work but more because of the limited choices of bluetooth headsets. Given the current technology of bluetooth, they are able to transmit up to 320kbps of audio wirelessly (that's not bad actually) and your audio files are by large 128 or 192kbps, bluetooth could actually work if there were more choices available.

Depending on music choices there are plenty of choices for you to choose from for earphones, like....

1. TDK BA100
  2. UE700
  3. Shure SE215
  4. Westone UM1

Or headphones like,

1. Marshall Major
  2. AKG Q460
  3. Grado SR80
  4. Audio Technica ATH-ES55

More available but would be easier if you drop by our stores to test them yourself to find your very own poision. :grin:

Aron @ Stereo