Joe-Siow

Audez'e LCD-2 Rev 2

Mike of Headfonia, wrote that the HD700 can run directly from his iPod. According to him, betters even the stats. Interesting.......

HD700

One guy at Gearslutz says the 700 may prove better than the 800 for most people since it's darker. Even though it doesn't have the absolute detail it's so good people will like it, even for $1000 USD. Now that's a lot for a headphone that's junior to the 800, but if they pull off that dark thing as well as Shure did with the 1840 then it could be a hit. (BTW, I think they're all jacking us on those prices - come on - $700 for a Shure and $1000 for the Senn, and they're just tweaked 40mm drivers.

how to define neutral ?

I think if you're close it means nothing is really peaky or sucked out.

One guy at Gearslutz says the 700 may prove better than the 800 for most people since it's darker. Even though it doesn't have the absolute detail it's so good people will like it, even for $1000 USD. Now that's a lot for a headphone that's junior to the 800, but if they pull off that dark thing as well as Shure did with the 1840 then it could be a hit. (BTW, I think they're all jacking us on those prices - come on - $700 for a Shure and $1000 for the Senn, and they're just tweaked 40mm drivers.

I think if you're close it means nothing is really peaky or sucked out.

It's dark but not that dark, can we call it grey? Yeah the prices are quite a lowdown these days.

Haha nice explanation for Neutral, but most won't know even a 8db difference.

Reading the Headfonia review (I'll get the link in a bit): The comments in the review about the 700 being "grain free" are very interesting. Here are more comments from the review.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-hd700-journal/

"The HD700 is in no way going to replace the HD800 as the flagship model. Early in this article I’ve talked about how the HD800 is currently the king of the headphone technology. The HD800 driver just oozes with resolution, micro detail...."

"The HD700's dark sound simply exudes with clarity, to the extent that the sound coming out of it is clearer than the HD800...."

"The HD700 tremendously improves on the bass impact of the HD800...."

Anyway, in the article, I see that not only does the 700 improve on the 800's bass impact "tremendously"(?), but the sound is clearer than the 800 and free of the 800's grain, yet the 800's resolution and micro detail can't be matched by the 700. Do people read this stuff because it sounds exciting to them? It looks like a lot of doubletalk.

It's dark but not that dark, can we call it grey? Yeah the prices are quite a lowdown these days.

Haha nice explanation for Neutral, but most won't know even a 8db difference.

Good observation on 'grey' - that's a pretty accurate description of what the Shure 1840 sounds like.

On that 8 db difference - with some headphones at some freq's, I don't hear much difference with a 8 db boost or cut on the EQ sliders. Then with other headphones, a small variance is a big deal. Hard to predict. Of course in the midrange it's very obvious.

Edited by dalethorn

Reading the Headfonia review (I'll get the link in a bit): The comments in the review about the 700 being "grain free" are very interesting. Here are more comments from the review.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-hd700-journal/

"The HD700 is in no way going to replace the HD800 as the flagship model. Early in this article I’ve talked about how the HD800 is currently the king of the headphone technology. The HD800 driver just oozes with resolution, micro detail...."

"The HD700's dark sound simply exudes with clarity, to the extent that the sound coming out of it is clearer than the HD800...."

"The HD700 tremendously improves on the bass impact of the HD800...."

Anyway, in the article, I see that not only does the 700 improve on the 800's bass impact "tremendously"(?), but the sound is clearer than the 800 and free of the 800's grain, yet the 800's resolution and micro detail can't be matched by the 700. Do people read this stuff because it sounds exciting to them? It looks like a lot of doubletalk.

Good observation on 'grey' - that's a pretty accurate description of what the Shure 1840 sounds like.

On that 8 db difference - with some headphones at some freq's, I don't hear much difference with a 8 db boost or cut on the EQ sliders. Then with other headphones, a small variance is a big deal. Hard to predict. Of course in the midrange it's very obvious.

Probably the 8db would come out more obvious if you do it in a very quiet area and if you're using the Tone Generator.

So a HD700 vs 1840 showdown should be on its way...

Probably the 8db would come out more obvious if you do it in a very quiet area and if you're using the Tone Generator. So a HD700 vs 1840 showdown should be on its way...

So, what do you think? Is a "grain free" headphone that's "clearer than the HD800" worth $1000? I would guess HD-800 owners are going to run out and buy the 700, knowing they are going to get all of that plus "tremendous" improvement in bass impact. They bought the 800, so they can afford it. The 1840 OTOH is not going to compete on bass, and I don't know about that grain either. And so far I haven't seen any reviews of the 1840 like that HD-700 review, even though the 1840 shipped much earlier. So nobody has to worry about a HD-700 review by me, since there are certain things I just don't believe in: Santa Claus, Bigfoot, the Easter Bunny, and "bass slam".

So, what do you think? Is a "grain free" headphone that's "clearer than the HD800" worth $1000? I would guess HD-800 owners are going to run out and buy the 700, knowing they are going to get all of that plus "tremendous" improvement in bass impact. They bought the 800, so they can afford it. The 1840 OTOH is not going to compete on bass, and I don't know about that grain either. And so far I haven't seen any reviews of the 1840 like that HD-700 review, even though the 1840 shipped much earlier. So nobody has to worry about a HD-700 review by me, since there are certain things I just don't believe in: Santa Claus, Bigfoot, the Easter Bunny, and "bass slam".

Haha cool down, I was referring to those 2 headphones having a showdown, generally for the same market. I'm sure someone will put that comparison up soon.

Haha cool down, I was referring to those 2 headphones having a showdown, generally for the same market. I'm sure someone will put that comparison up soon.

They may indeed. But when they trash the 1840 I'll have the last laugh. Go with me on this, you'll see.

Mike of Headfonia, wrote that the HD700 can run directly from his iPod. According to him, betters even the stats. Interesting.......

HD700

HD700 is 150 ohms while HD800 is 300 ohms, that might to go explain why that an iPod can drive a HD700.

However, surely, that is not ideal at all.

HD700 is 150 ohms while HD800 is 300 ohms, that might to go explain why that an iPod can drive a HD700.

However, surely, that is not ideal at all.

Yes I do agree with that statement, it is just strange that he had to mention that.

Yes I do agree with that statement, it is just strange that he had to mention that.

There is a lot of strangeness in that article, but that's also typical for headfi, which he says had a big influence in the 700 voicing. Someone should explain how the 700 can be "clearer" than the 800 and also free of the 800's "grain", and yet the 800 have better micro-detail. You know what I think? I think nobody will ever explain that, and you look at all of the bizarre headfi reporting on the Shure 940 for example - when different users tried to pin the headfi guys down for specific examples, the headfi guys just got angry and banned the people who interfered with their fun. The same will happen with the 700 - lots of hyperbole to market the 700, but no attempt to really explain anything.

one can not worry from getting banned here :D

Banned is not the worst thing. Worse is the crazy argument that says "It's clearer" and "It has no graininess", then later "It has less details". It makes a person want to buy it just to prove which is right. -- Oops - that is the plan then - get you to buy. OK, now I get it. Thank you headfi.(???)

much like described by nwavguy... headfi now protect its own interests

Sometimes I wonder what those interests are. But then, maybe something I don't want to know...