Sign in to follow this  
gryphon1972

1st recording

To be honest these left and right channels really does play with you! Well for me at least.

Blues Guy, that is correct the red ety's are for the right ear and blue for the left. And I take back what I said about you having good ears etys.gif

sad1.gif

gryphon: sure.. give me the disc when you're done happy.gif

Very good job. Some comments: I found the vocal imaging not so clear, and a little unbalanced, as it is shifted too much to the right. Well how good if the balance of the sound were like the ending notes when the guitar was like plugged in direct or something.

Oh yes, did you use LAME encoder for the MP3? because I found the 160kbps one much better than the 128 one. If you want to have a smaller files, you can try the alt preset of LAME encoding. I should say, minimum 192kbps. Above that not much difference. You can try alt preset standard. That one is VBR averaging around 192kbps. Should be the best size yet mantaining a good amount of quality. Also remeber to use LAME version between 3.90.2 and 3.92 Nothing before and after as the alt presets work best in these versions.

Edited by lekguan

Just finished listening to it. Well done, you have a good singing voice. I can just imagine the gurlies screaming their heads off as you sing your heart out to them at a big concert venue!

I'd prefer if there was a little less reverb on the acoustic guitar too so that it sounds more natural/fuller since the vocals sounds close miked. A good example for you to compare is with the song More than Words by Extreme. I like to be able to hear the detail of the guitarist's fretwork as he moves his chords up & down the neck, I heard a little bit of that here which is surprising given my meagre SB Live soundcard!

I didn't find the vocal imaging to the right. It seemed fairly centered. However I like the effect where the acoustic guitar's sound bounced off to the right even though it is clearly playing on the left giving a sense of air & space (Hence the purpose of the reverb?). If it was slightly more balanced with your vocals off center to the right & the guitarist slightly off center to the left it would sound less uncomfortable.

As it is, it'll make a good demo tape for an A&R rep! thumbup1.gif

serenade.gif

gryphon courting a girl with this song! tongue.gif

Thanks for all you comments...... kicking.gif

Lekguan: I am not sure which mp3 encoder I used....it was built into the cool edit pro....I just did a save as......would appreciate if you could point me to the encoder rolleyes.gif

N@Z: I have tried to take out the reverb guitar on the right channel and pan the full guitar and the vocals a little to left and right respectively...it sounded a little empty....I have not tried the putting the reverb guitar with this reverb yet.....

I am not sure if I know the song more than words....I think I have heard it before but its faint memory ....

hmm blues.....I am married.... laugh.gif

BTW I am working on a song that I wrote but I have yet to fill in the chords.....also in the process of thinking out the arrangement of the song....probably would add some strings,backup vocals and some piano sounds if possible.....I guess you guys would have more comments since there will be more stuff...

Wow that?s very good!! I love the atmosphere.

As has been said, you have a nice voice. Just a pity I can't understand you! tongue.gif

I think the reverb sounds ok, but I do think there is quite allot of hiss for only two instruments. Was the guitar very quiet? It's not exactly a problem though, I just noticed it as I know the AT3035 has an extremely low noise floor.

We have quite allot in common, I also do some recordings of me and my friend (does that makes us a band?) I use a AT3035 mic for the vocals. Its a great mic for the price isn't it!

I didn't know about the Studio Forums site, it is very good. I have also now posted some of my tunes if anyone would like a listen! Three songs and three very different styles.

http://www.studioforums.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...24&m=2786011844

Edited by Tenson

hey good job! nice vocals accompanied by enchanting guitar work. but one slight problem, the song seems monotonous without any peak.

tension: your singing isnt that bad tongue.gif just need more practise.......I would say overall its a good job.....instruments get their individual spaces......very quiet recording.....maybe just a little reverb to the instuments to fill up the empty spaces......would prefer a more upfront vocal and more impact from your instruments for your type of music.....

btw......most of the noise came when I was recording the guitar......I recorded it in my bedroom with the AT3035.....should have off the aircon, get my kids out of the house biggrin.gif ......but the original intention is of a practise take for the guitar......dont have enough time for a second take.....it has since been 2 weeks since I last saw my guitarist

Edited by gryphon1972

hey good job! nice vocals accompanied by enchanting guitar work. but one slight problem, the song seems monotonous without any peak.

thanks evil.....I am guessing that you are commenting on my song

well its indeed true.....you have great ears biggrin.gif ......the song is played in D key and I prefer to sing in F key resulting in sort of like no peaks as I am singing the song a little too low...

The reason is.......he finds it difficult to play in F key blush.gif

Thanx gryphon, the tunes are noralised so they can't get any louder! The reason is because the kick puts some nasty spikes in the mix, but I am not a fan of useing oodles of compression as it takes away from the attack of the kick. I reckon anyhoo...

I hope your guitarist hasn't run away!

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Tenson

What electric guitar did you use, telecaster? I Like the precussive sound.

You sound very alternative. A little dry but I quite like it.

gryphon: Could record to WAV, then use this

http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10125657...tml?tag=lst-0-1

to convert to MP3. Under advanced options, select alt preset standard. Then click ok. Back in the main window, don't adjust the quality slider. And select frequecy 44100 Hz. That's about it. Might be a little troublesome, but its all worth it. LAME is the highest quality MP3 encoder.

Eh, after the song editing has been finalised is it possible to like send me a lossless format like monkey audio, WMA lossless, or WAV?

Edited by lekguan

Sweet!!! What amplification did you use?

None, it was plugged into the soundcard directly and then I used 'Trash' to add the amp sound. It is just a program that can make a signal sound like it has gone through a guitar amp. Best of all it has about 200 to choose from biggrin.gif

Would you like to buy a CD when it is finished!? Hahaha...no seriously.. tongue.gif