irbaboon

New tubes for my Little Dot Amplifier

Yep, my Little Dot 2+ are up for trade but I'm willing to fork out some money for some new tubes first just for experimentation purposes. Right now I'm using Mullard EF92 W77 tubes, but the sound is way too warm and the bass sounds kinda loose. It worked great with Grados but Sennheisers sound too mellow.

Any ideas on what types of tubes that will give a more balanced sound signature? I'm really blur when it comes to these things. If you included the price/where to get that'd be great also. So far I've only found stock Schiit tubes for sale but the price is just too steep. I'm only wtb tubes locally, since I'm not really familiar with ebay, paypal, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, my Little Dot 2+ are up for trade but I'm willing to fork out some money for some new tubes first just for experimentation purposes. Right now I'm using Mullard EF92 W77 tubes, but the sound is way too warm and the bass sounds kinda loose. It worked great with Grados but Sennheisers sound too mellow.

Any ideas on what types of tubes that will give a more balanced sound signature? I'm really blur when it comes to these things. If you included the price/where to get that'd be great also. So far I've only found stock Schiit tubes for sale but the price is just too steep. I'm only wtb tubes locally, since I'm not really familiar with ebay, paypal, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tubes are available at Peoples Park Centre (next to Subordinate Court) basement called Larry, another place to check out is Burlington Square, there are 2 shops there. Advice on tubes signatures I think they can help much better.

Should Start from 30 for JJ (china military standard), New Old Stock of course will be high. What happened to the LD original tubes? Were they EH 6922? Also with tube rolling, you need to let them settle or burn in, check and adjust your bias so it does not clip (resonate as with tubes) at normal listening volume.

if u are selling soon, don't try... the next buyer... wouldn't appreciate what u have invested...

since u have made this move... u probably believe tuberoll make a difference..

invest on the next tube amp :)

burlington square(beside sim lim square) too, the uncle auntie shop(quite nice) and another shop

Edited by alamakazam

yea mr/mrs wong at burlington square are pretty good...however nos tubes there are somewhat limited..if u wan 6922 i rmb they hav eh 6922 n some philips jan

Hey Bro Alamakazam, I agree but I think the little dot is worth keeping, he hasn't stated which pair of headphones he is driving.

OT; You still have IE8 as your portable, lol. update IE80 bro.

edit, lol his gear list Sennheiser HD438, Sennheiser HD555, Etymotic HF5, Grado SR60i

Litle Dot 2 is more than enough bro.

Edited by Maniacal71

Yea I know the Little Dot 2 is more than enough to drive the headphones but main reason that I'm looking to trade the LD2+ is to get something more portable for use with my Ety HF5.

Tubes sounded good with the SR60 but with the HD555, it just makes the sound too mellow and smooth. I really like the amp though, since it's my first tube amp. The tubes are already well burnt-in so no issues there.

Another question: Which affect SQ more, the preamp tubes (smaller ones?) or the output tubes? The output tubes are still stock, but the preamps are Mullard.

Thanks for the replies so far.