ablaze

head-fi scam?

N@Z, why'd you put this in the never ending thread? I thought it was important enough to warrant its own topic

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=47299

I was shocked to read that it was williamgoody with the bad rep. I mean this guy bought Rameish's prehead, and you can guess how much was involved there, luckily that went without a hitch.

what're your thoughts guys?

It seems weird to me that a old-time head-fier with a great rep would suddenly turn "bad".. wacko.gif

Yup, the infamous guy with 2.5 pages of favourable feedback and then in comes some flames and scammer allegations. I reckon he must be in dire straits to turn to such methods, or perhaps just a change of principles or corruption of integrity. Sounds pretty incredulous, but anything's possible...

I'm finding it hard to correlate his current behaviour with his past reputation. he's even registered here and seems like a perfectly decent guy! maybe its one of them hacker-hacked-into-his-account things. hence he can't reply cos he can't log on. maybe?

I wanted to at least wait for Williamgoody's reply. So far we have only heard about it from one side only.

but if you continue reading that thread, its not just inthused but quite a few others who got ripped off recently. I like to think the best of people too...I'm sticking with my hacked account theory

It's strange all the people crawling out of the woodwork only now.

hacked out... that's probably the only answer that makes sense to me!

Perhaps so, but he could easily have registered for another account and give us his side of the story. Hopefully he would do that real soon.

The PM correspondence seems pretty suspicious too...

The hacked accounts seem plausible but then it would take a guy with a really bad grudge to go thru all that trouble... but its not unheard of.

someone must have surely meet him in real life? i reckon someone in NY should go to his house and give him a good bounding!

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....20&pagenumber=5

michaelfrank's comments:

I purchased a creative nomad jukebox from williamgoody (quite some time ago) and the transaction went extremely smoothly.

I am posting this experience because of concern expressed by other members. I was not affected in a negative way by the transaction, but, read on if you have time...

I had messaged williamgoody about the item after reading a for sale post he made, which was quite old, but hadn't been marked with a "sold" post yet. He said it was still available, so I paypal'ed and received it in a timely manner.

Once I found out the nomad wasn't compatible with my operating system, I immediately put it back up for sale in the forum. Oddly enough the first person to message me was williamgoody, asking if I wanted to trade something for else for it. No big deal, we audionuts are a fickle group, and william obviously has alot of equipment. I didn't think it was suspsicious until I talked to another member, whose experience was conveyed below.

I mentioned that to him that I really wanted to get cash for it, because there wasn't anything I was really looking for at the time. So a day or two goes by, and a head-fier from singapore (whose name I can't recall) pm's me wanting to buy the unit. I was weary of shipping it overseas, but told him that if he had someone in the states I could mail it to, that I would do that. Then he mentioned to me that he knew shipping overseas was risky, and that he had just bought an identical nomad jukebox from (guess who, williamgoody) and had been informed by him that it was "lost in the mail."

He was not bitter towards william, and assumed (partially due to immaculate feedback) that william was honest and had actually sent the unit.

I confronted williamgoody about the scenario (and informed an administrator that something fishy was going on) and william claimed that he had two units, and was not lying about having shipped the unit.

That is where the whole discussion ended, the moderator wasn't obligated to do anything, especially since the victim wasn't even pursuing the matter, being trustworthy enough to assume william had shipped it. William also told me that this was the last time he would ever ship something out of the US because of the hassle it had caused. II know he has been involved in overseas transactions since then, however.

An interesting story nonetheless, just added for completeness due to the rash of recent inquiries.

who's the guy from Singapore who got ripped off by williamgoody?

someone must have surely meet him in real life? i reckon someone in NY should go to his house and give him a good bounding!

Shoot first ask question later! LOL!

You know what, I'm beginning to feel very wary about buying from overseas now. I was never worried about it before & only was concerned about stuff I send out rather have coming in.

The only problem I ever experienced with Head-Fi (it was a more a glitch rather), was when I bought a used Kimber PBJ mini to mini cable from JMT. I paypaled for it & it never arrived even until now. I have had a flawless transaction with JMT prior to this. He assured me it went out & I have no reason to doubt him. Unfortunately I didn't use shipping with tracking since it was just a cable only. After giving it about a month or so JMT sent me his home grown silver laced cables with 90 degree switchcraft plugs as compensation bacause I felt uneasy with his kind offer of returning my money (minus the paypal fees) since he is highly regarded in Head-Fi. Hence we both assumed the package was MIA by the post.

On hindsight my assumption why it got lost was that JMT kindly offered some Altoids mints to go with the cables. Quite possibly it was confiscated somewhere along the line, who knows.

I always prefer to use EMS or Global Priority Express. I shipped the K1000 using EMS to the US & it only took 5 days to arrive. That was the fastest I've ever experienced.