dalethorn

Objective2 headphone amp

listening to my o2 again

it seems to be a very analytical amp

thinking of ways to reduce the highs as it gets irritating after awhile

Here's my take on that from worst to best:

Shure 940: Too analytical, needs a tube amp probably.

Beyer DT-48A: Same as 940.

Grado PS-500: Not as bad as the previous two, but not perfect. Good with most tracks.

German Maestro 8.35D: Very good, since the bass balances the highs well.

Sennheiser 800: Awesome, a spectacular sound, a perfect match for the O2.

My best test track for highs (and it has scorching hot highs) is Girl From Guatemala by David Chesky, a FLAC track from HDTracks dot com. With the HD-800 the extreme triangles, xylophone, and other high-freq. percussions are delineated perfectly, with glorious tonal colors. The other headphones don't match up, but the GMP 8.35 shows what needs to happen - if you use a mid-range priced headphone, pick one with good solid bass and even a little warmth to balance out the highs.

So what does the O2 do to the DT48A? Isn't the signature neutral on the O2? Is it just cold and lifeless? If it's that then it should be great for the A.imo unless the O2 is flawed.

So what does the O2 do to the DT48A? Isn't the signature neutral on the O2? Is it just cold and lifeless? If it's that then it should be great for the A.imo unless the O2 is flawed.

Signature stays basically the same. Definitely not cold and lifeless. But the liquid-type sound I hear with my desktop computer and to a lesser extent the iPod, becomes slightly drier and thinner with the O2. The DT-48A just does not need that sort of control that works so well with the Senn 800 and the GMP 8.35D. I read the sensational short review of the Shure 940 by Amclaussen on headfonics, based on him using a Lehmann amp. I did not get a good result with the 940 on the O2. So maybe next I'll get one of those low-cost tube amps for around $250 and then I can use it with the DT-48A and the new Shure 1840.

I should partially retract what I said about the O2 and the DT-48A - the amp doesn't make the sound too thin - it just seems that way when comparing to other headphones. The Shure definitely does not benefit from the O2 though. I still think the O2 is a great solid state amp, and based on some new tracks with amazing dynamics, the headphone will probably be the limiting factor. If you want a really super stress test for high frequencies, try The Girl From Guatemala by David Chesky (FLAC format) from HDTracks. I have some other great test tracks, but none that have the high freq. dynamics of this track. One listen and you'll see.

I should partially retract what I said about the O2 and the DT-48A - the amp doesn't make the sound too thin - it just seems that way when comparing to other headphones. The Shure definitely does not benefit from the O2 though. I still think the O2 is a great solid state amp, and based on some new tracks with amazing dynamics, the headphone will probably be the limiting factor. If you want a really super stress test for high frequencies, try The Girl From Guatemala by David Chesky (FLAC format) from HDTracks. I have some other great test tracks, but none that have the high freq. dynamics of this track. One listen and you'll see.

Well, I'm having the Lehmann audio BCL amp with me now, i switched with a buddy my LDmk4SE, the DT48A seems to benefit somewhat, sound is fuller but rounder, details are abundant, black is black background. It is very good with the HD650, doesn't make that can fast or thin, but smooth. Sounds better on this amp than the Burson. Still nothing beats my Sansui Vintage receiver amp, which i bet can even drive the Hifiman HE6.

Well, I'm having the Lehmann audio BCL amp with me now, i switched with a buddy my LDmk4SE, the DT48A seems to benefit somewhat, sound is fuller but rounder, details are abundant, black is black background. It is very good with the HD650, doesn't make that can fast or thin, but smooth. Sounds better on this amp than the Burson. Still nothing beats my Sansui Vintage receiver amp, which i bet can even drive the Hifiman HE6.

I remember the guy at headfonics who had the Shure 940 said the Lehmann did magic for the Shure, so I bet it also does magic for the DT-48A.

More time with the DT-48A tonight. All worries are over. The sound with the O2 is very good. But I am going to have to find a FLAC copy of Hans' movie track, because where the mass percussions hit, the sound is still not real clear - it's a lot clearer than with the Vmoda V80, but I get the idea that I should be able to at least guess what makes those sounds and right now I can't. I don't have to worry about testing any more with the HD-800 since I donated that to a group who are going to sell it to raise money for a Nikon D800. That makes two hand-made German products I donated this week - the 800 and a Leica X1 - both like new. I wish I had a reason to use them more, but both had limitations.

I remember the guy at headfonics who had the Shure 940 said the Lehmann did magic for the Shure, so I bet it also does magic for the DT-48A.

It does, but I like the DT48A better with the Meier Arietta.

Received my JDS Lab O2 couple days ago. Have been running in. First impression is pretty good. Lots of drive, sounds "big" if you get what I mean :)) . Don't even need to pass 11 o'clock on the vol knob on my LCD2s at normal gain. Rather analytical, can be too bright on certain recordings. I'm getting very bad distortion when I switch to high gain even at low volume. Not sure if it's the opamp. Will roll some opamp and see.