dalethorn

Need a small portable very high fidelity headphone

My wife just did a run-through of my headphones in a comparison to her beloved B&W P5. She didn't like anything I had until she listened to the Shure 1840, which she loved. But she wants a very compact portable, preferably closed and small like the P5, but with much better sound. Is such a thing available at any price? She did not like the v-moda M80 for example. Price is no object, but has to be small, not stick out like a Martian helmet, and sound really top notch - very hi-fi, but not bright.

audio technica ath es88?

Amazon has no reviews, and WhatHiFi gave 4 stars for "bottom heavy" and treble shyness.

I'd say it's not even close to Shure 1840 quality. Even Headfi has nothing on it. Do you know of any reviews?

How about AKG K3003? Do not like earphone? Denon D7000?

Denon 7000 is not small, and IEM's are not applicable obviously. The best sound we have found is the Earpods (purchase version only) with Dirac player, but she wants a headphone similar to P5.

Guest dragonboy
My wife just did a run-through of my headphones in a comparison to her beloved B&W P5. She didn't like anything I had until she listened to the Shure 1840, which she loved. But she wants a very compact portable, preferably closed and small like the P5, but with much better sound. Is such a thing available at any price? She did not like the v-moda M80 for example. Price is no object, but has to be small, not stick out like a Martian helmet, and sound really top notch - very hi-fi, but not bright.

Didn't your wife like your ESW11? Sleek, classic & must important sounds great.

Didn't your wife like your ESW11? Sleek, classic & must important sounds great.

She uses the ESW9a, and she is very happy with it. I will not give up my ESW11, which I have become very attached to.

Guest dragonboy

She uses the ESW9a, and she is very happy with it. I will not give up my ESW11, which I have become very attached to.

You don't need to give it up..... Easiest way is to buy another one.

You don't need to give it up..... Easiest way is to buy another one.

She will have to live with her $200 AT. No way would I ever spend $700 more on another one. I'm already down to 110 pounds from skipping meals.

Guest dragonboy

She will have to live with her $200 AT. No way would I ever spend $700 more on another one. I'm already down to 110 pounds from skipping meals.

Nice way to slim down though....😁

Wife still uses ATH ESW9a - very satisfied with that. I have been using mostly the ESW11, because somehow the sound is really satisfying in long-term listening. It may be the wood cups makes the difference? I just got a Bose AE2i last week, and am really surprised. It has such good balance I don't need any EQ with it. Also excellent soundstage. I think the older AE2 might have had some problems.