Sign in to follow this  
N3w_Typ3

Need advice for my D-777 service

should i go ahead for the repair  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

any way something to ask all of the brothers and sisters here

is about weather should i repair my D-777 ... it quite in a bad shape ... i assumed ... as the sony tec have called me regarding my player .... my upper panel is damage ( for sure the clear plastic was missing ) bottom panel slighty scrach ... laser head DEAD .... motor ...( the spinner ) HALF DEAD .... so i wonder ... should i go ahead with the service ... total cost is .... $$277 Woo sure too XxX ... need all your advice laugh.gif

thanks

N3w_Typ3

I voted no because I feel you can buy a good brand new PCDP with that sort of money. Plus you can recoup your cost by reselling the D777 as spares. There's a market for it in Head-Fi. You could always trade for it instead of asking for money.

Considering that when you bought the PCDP from a seller in the same country I was somewhat surprised that you couldn't arrange to audition it before buying. All the more reason to be suspicious in the first place when the seller said that it was not convenient for him to meet up. Oh well, live & learn.

BTW, what's the center selection of the poll for?

Opps N@Z for the center poll is a mistake i made .. so sorry about it ... thanks for your wonderful advice ... i will take that into con laugh.gif sideration ...

Whoops, I tried editing the poll to make it just two items but instead my vote got deleted. Anyway you vote No for me to compensate since I cannot revote.

Done thanks ....

No. No way. no.gif

i voted yes. so what if you can get a new discman - they wont sound as good!

that aside, owning a vintage pdcp is like owning a vintage car, sure you may have difficulties reasoning it out why its a good thing to own one, but you sure can feel good owning one.

no..why dun u spend ur money on dej2000 instead

one is that i dont quite like the Dej2000 sound sound .. ( sorry to say that ) i think my D-925 is better .. and D-777 sound good to me ... but too bad mine is in dead condition ....

N3w_Typ3, Sell it on eBay or HeadFi for spares and try to recover your money if not all, and go look for another one. I think that is your best option. SG$277 is good for a mint working one one and a half times over IMO.

So I voted 'NO'

Edit = Typo

Edited by matbon0013

I agree. I've heard the d777 and it sounds excellent.

But then 277 is abit high. If only the cost is 200 or less, that would make the option easier.

Anyway I think sony repair is always a rip-off rolleyes.gif

yea sony repair is a rip off. they wanted $40 for labour and ?? for parts for repairing the faulty headphone out of my md player. in the end i just experiment and soldered it back. if you can do diy stuff, get a similar age pcdp like d345, d245 etc to transplant the organs over. they *might* have the same transport system.

if you have to pay $277, you might as well get a 2nd hand marantz cdp for home which confirm has a better sound but bigger size of course. if you want a portable one for outside use, get a cheaper pcdp since you cant tell much of a difference with earbuds and outside noise. i recommend a panasonic or technics for its durability over sony. their lens is glass versus plastic for sony. headphone out is equally good too.

i think if u look around hard enuff, u could get a new one at around that price or cheaper..

Gees.......$277.........U might as well buy over my D-777 in near mint cosmetic condition (except anti-skip does not work too well) and have it repaired for this amount. I'm sure the condition of my set is better than yours even after the repairs.

However, I've no intention to sell for now but the moral of the story is.........U have lots of options........buy a full-fledged cdp (better sound quality than any pcdps).........source for another D-777 in better condition and trade/sell the current one on Head-fi to parts scalpers......etc.

Edited by Mackie