dalethorn

Apple i-devices, Lightning connector, analog output

i-device update: I still don't have the iPhone 5 (may wait for the 5s), but got another step closer today with other items. Previously, I was able to test the new iPod Nano against the old iPod Touch and iPhone 4s which use the 30-pin connector, and found that the Nano's analog out to a headphone amp via the LOD (which bypasses the i-device volume control) is louder than the older i-devices by perhaps 3 decibels. Plugging the headphone directly into the headphone jack of these i-devices, the Nano's maximum volume that way was also greater than the old iPod Touch and iPhone 4s, by about the same amount (~3 db). Today's tests with the new iPod Touch had the same result. All tests were with the 18-ohm Sennheiser Amperior and the PA2V2 headphone amp, except when the headphone was plugged directly into the i-device headphone jacks. EQ and other optional settings that affect music and video sound were turned off. The interesting thing for me are the reports that the iPhone 5's maximum volume output is less than the iPhone 4/4s (and presumably the iPods), yet the other new i-devices that share the Lightning connector with the iPhone 5 have greater maximum volume, not less.