dalethorn

30 headphone micro-review

In this list I sorted by sound quality, then by brand name. My rating of sound quality is a mixture of accuracy/neutrality and musicality - how it plays with different genres. For example the Earpods are at the top because they have a near perfect signature and good detail, even though not as much detail as the HD800. But even though my HD800 is gone now, I compared the Earpods/Dirac to the Shure 1840, and I can hear the artificial-sounding timbres on the 1840 compared to the more natural sound the Dirac player gives to the Earpods.

http://dalethorn.com/Headphones_Top_30.txt

hahaha interesting earpods with dirac to be ranked first

personally i did not like the esw11 the highs can get too sharp tho

Edited by nekatrall

hahaha interesting earpods with dirac to be ranked first. personally i did not like the esw11 the highs can get too sharp tho

Tell me more about the ESW11 because I ordered one for $740 USD and there is still time to cancel it. The ESW9a I have, the highs are soft I thought. Did you find the treble brighter with the ESW11 compared to ESW9?

yup slightly brighter

but i get the feeling the highs come in quite fast tho for esw11

wide soundstage but the instruments placed closed

like room but all the stuff put in the center tgr

but this is to my ears

yup slightly brighter. but i get the feeling the highs come in quite fast tho for esw11. wide soundstage but the instruments placed closed. like room but all the stuff put in the center tgr. but this is to my ears

The main thing I need to know when investigating a headphone sound is how bright it is compared to known references. If only slightly brighter than ESW9a, could be good since ESW9a is rolled off somewhat.

If it's as bright as a Shure 940, that could be trouble.

Here's the ones I'm familiar with. Any comparison of the ESW11 treble to any of these?

Audio_Technica_Esw9a

Audio_Technica_M50

B&W_P3

B&w_P5

Beyer_Dt1350

Beyer_Dt48a

Beyer_Dtx501p

Bose_Oe2i

German_Maestro_835d

Grado_Ps500

Harman_Kardon_Cl

Logitech_Ue4000

Logitech_Ue6000

Marley_Exodus

Martin_Logan_M90

Phiaton_Ms300

Phiaton_Ms400

Philips_Fidelio_L1

Philips_Stretch

Sennheiser_Amperior

Sennheiser_Hd280_Pro

Sennheiser_Hd800

Sennheiser_Momentum

Shure_Srh1440

Shure_Srh1840

Shure_Srh940

Soundmagic_Hp100

V-Moda_M80

Vmoda_M100

personally i did not like the esw11 the highs can get too sharp tho

The ESW11LTD I got today is soft in highs like the ESW9a. The track by Chromatics - I'm On Fire -- the tambourine sounds dull(!) even when I have a treble boost on. The mids are emphasized toward the high end, whereas the darker headphones are emphasized toward the lower end of the mids, so some users might think the ESW11LTD is bright, but the highs are definitely recessed.