Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

DT431

oh why this? because mackie's contact has 1 last pair in stock. So mackie could clear at cost price. I got for SGD70, instead of the rough street price in Singapore of 190. Have to thank mackie again. wub.gif

I won't have any more impressions until tomorrow around noon, because I have a final mini exam paper to sit for tomorrow. Ends at 0915. Slack a bit, come home should be before 1100.

Edited by lekguan

Yeah I stole it. I actually didn't want to buy any cans until the meet is over, because I don't really know if cans are for me, and even if they are, what fits me. So, since this is stolen, oops i mean is a steal, why not? biggrin.gif

yeap.. it is engraved on the phone... wink.gif

can see from the pic although abit bright

Ah over 20 hours burning in, now I can hear more bass. The bass has more impact. I love it more now. And the bass remains tight. Still as airy and soundstage as wide as ever, the harsh highs have disappeared more. there is sibilance. Piano sounds more real. Hm. Wait, that is from my jay chou album. Let me switch to the best audiophile voices II album.

The 1st track, desperado, the piano sounds very real. Yes indeed. I like it. The rest of the track also sound very good. The soundstage is wide, voice is mellow. No traces of sibialnce here, but still a little bright. Let it continue burn in.

Details is a little more on these as compared to EX70, however, they sound distant, thus making them noticable yet not so apparent. Wonder if you get what I mean. It sounds brighter on the line out of my D777. Too bright, IMO, so far. Nevertheless, it has far surpassed any setup I have owned so far. I love the air. It seems to made just for light-hearted music. Yet it still presents pop quite well. Its airy presentation seems to make you hate having too much bass (as in my Altec 621). Now listening to my speakers, they sound awkward. Even EX70 sounds awkward, like not enough air. Seperation is also what I like. I tried listening to it at low volumes on the shiny stockings track. The intruments are properly placed and I can hear seperation. This track has a cymbal which sounds awkward on my speakers as well as EX70. On this can, it sounds fine.

It seems to me you are being introduced with a sound that has greater clarity (may be synonymous to brightness to some) and more laidback than that from your speakers and EX70.

For the price U've paid, how do U compare with those cans U've heard in this price bracket, lekguan?

Edited by Mackie

Sadly, $70 ones, I've only contact with EX70. Thats why not really good to judge. can only go by feeling. I might be getting a KSC35. Maybe I can compare if I get it. And thats also why I was reluctant to get any cans until the meet is over. biggrin.gif

Oh well, we learn something everyday. So its best I give it a try at determing its sonic traits. Hope someone can guide me along. Too bad not many have DT431.

Edited by lekguan

I think pitching DT431 against circumaural/superaural cans is fairer than clip-on and ear buds. Or what the heck, just enjoy the music with what U have in hand as it's better than fantasizing those that are beyond your reach.

yeah, very true. I just cannot wait for it to finish burning in. cool.gif

I don't know this is the how-many times already. But words simply can't express my gratitude. Thanks again.

Oh its raining. My DT431 is plugged into my micro hifi to burn in. The micro hifi is plugged into a multiplug with surge protection. Should be safe, shouldn't it? So far, since I bought my speakers, I've not heard any kind of surge from my speakers during thunderstorms. So I guess should be fine.

Edited by lekguan

If the ELCB (circuit breaker) trips during the current thunderstorm, I suggest U remove the power plugs of all your precious gears. U can continue to run-in your cans via D-777 on batteries.

p.s. No need to thank me profusely....it's my pleasure.

Edited by Mackie

Oh ok. 1 thing I've noticed, the pads have become softer and a littlee less rough. Do pads need to burn in as well? lol.gif

Don't laugh. I was told Beyer velour pads like those on DT880 have "memory" that "remembers" the contour of your head-sides and ears after prolonged wearing. U may be experiencing the same thing with 431 now.

LOL! Yeah, imagine like wearing a brand new pair of shoes. It gets better with time.

It should be well burned in after 72 hours. The PX200 took that long to finally settle to an acceptable sound.