Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

Albums that you recommend

just got to hear Freedom Sessions..yeah, its really good despite the imperfect recording. some songs like "good enough" are..eerily sorrowful. downright heartbreaking actually. nothing like the album or mirrorball version. just makes me go...siggghhh...sad1.gif

hmm..makeout CD? we should start a new thread for that yes.gif

One should hear a very deep soundstage on the Buena Vista Social Club album.

My all-time favourite jazz album.  Have it in CD and LP formats.

user posted image

Hey, Mackie I've been looking for this album for the last 14 years, ever since I accidentally sold them away during a garage sale. Since it is out of print, possible to get a dupe from you, pleaseeee!

rolleyes.gif

Let me get this right. The John Coltrane - Ballads is still available under Verve recording; on CD and SACD format. They are available at Gramophone outlets.

I will check the Raffles Place outlet to confirm.

The cd copy I have is a 20-bit recording.

To "Gramaphone" very soon. BTW, the "Ballads" CD I had was pressed in the 80's & had a bluish tint, IMHO the best ballads from Coltrane. Similar experiences also from Ben Webster, Miles Davis & Chet Baker. biggrin.gif

One of my all time favorite LP is Fairytales by the late Norwegian singer Radka Toneff.

The recording is oustanding among vocal/piano duet albums. Unfortunately, this was to be Radka Toneffs last studio recording in 1982. IMHO the "Fairytales" album is a special album in all senses.

A must have/desert island discs for all who love jazz vocals.

post-4-1066630526.jpg

Anyone heard of this album The String Quartet's Tribute to Linkin Park ? Its a very interesting album, hear Linkin Park as you would have thought of hearing them before wacko.gifwacko.gif Imagine hearing cellos, and violins playing songs like "In the end, Crawling etc". Its a very nice twist, and I kinda actually prefer them to the original tongue.gif

They also have other albums like String Quartet's Tribute to Coldplay and Radiohead. Just my 2 pence worth of post.

Edited by kenshinz

They also have other albums like String Quarter's Tribute to Coldplay and Radiohead. Just my 2 pence worth of post.

Where can I find these albums? Thanks.

Mackie,

If you like instrumental covers.

check out the following. (I have them all, and I got them from Gramaphone)

Apocalyptica : Plays Metallica by Four Cellos

user posted image

Apocalyptica : Inquisition Symphony

user posted image

Christopher O'Reilly : True Love Waits: Christopher O'Riley Plays Radiohead

user posted image

Brad Mehldau : The Art Of The Trio, Vol. 3

user posted image

This one has a brilliant cover of Exit Music(for a film)

Brad Mehldau : Largo

user posted image

This one has a cover of Paranoid Andriod

BTW, the Brad Mehldau albums are brilliant for if you like 3 piece jazz combos.

Most of the songs he writes are originals, with a couple of very nice covers.

Basic Piano, Bass and drums. VERY good recording.

Chris

Edited by yongchris

Thanks kenshinz and Chris. happy.gif

kenshinz, I haven't received your pm.

Edited by Mackie

One of my all time favorite LP is Fairytales by the late Norwegian singer Radka Toneff.

The recording is oustanding among vocal/piano duet albums. Unfortunately, this was to be Radka Toneffs last studio recording in 1982. IMHO the "Fairytales" album is a special album in all senses.

A must have/desert island discs for all who love jazz vocals.

ya...good vocal...very touching....available in CD too...one of my favorites........

You guys just HAVE to get dishwalla's opaline cd!!! They are selling it at hmv for $40 but it's totally worth it. Hell, even for it's price it's a hot seller. All 99 people who reviewed the cd at amazon gave it excellect scores and good feedback, you don't have to take my word for it, you can go check it out and you'll find it's very true. I love every track in the cd, plus it's in HDCD format and it's US pressed so it sounds great!!!

Also another cd which I found sounding really good and had nice songs is disney's refresh album. I was impressed by the recording, maybe you've guys heard much much better cds, but to me, I found it great. party.gif

Bring the dishwalla CD to the Meet I'm interested to hear it.

huma: check out the SGH january 2004 thread sticky..

I've heard dishwalla(downloaded some of its songs). I thought they are not bad...

I'm surprised you haven't seen the Sticky thread: Proposal for SGH meet in January 2004