Northern Oak

Description of Sound - The Audiophile Way

Welcome then, this forum is special, given its smaller active member size, the community is so much different from those of other forums (ie. hardwarezone). Of course, I may be biased though.

Another +1 thread? :P

Just a note while browsing a bit. The link to the Stereophile glossary has been changed. They seem to have made it more apparent and relevant.

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

It now includes a reverse glossary, i.e., "What terms can I use to describe a certain quality of sound?" instead of just "What does this term mean and refer to?"

Wow!! I found this thread.

But still I don't know how to describe how a headphone/earphone sounds. (Too used to hearing and just picking the one I like) :D

Newbie? :P

It is always good to speak the lingo of the "trade" so that fellow enthusiats can appreciate what's being said. However, I find some of these descriptive terms more difficult than the sound itself! Hahaha! Take the term "dry" used - a sound that is devoid of "juice", which usu comes across as fine-grained and lean. Also a loss of reverberation as produced in a damp environment. Ahem! Do you mean apple or pineapple juice? If devoid of them, I am most happy - I don't like juice that much - never mind fine-grained and lean. Better reverberation in a humid environment? BTW, someone prefers it "dry", not stirred or shaken! Hehehe!