Sign in to follow this  
Sound Affairs

Sound Affairs Mac Mini Mods and Balanced DC Power Supply

Join us on Facebook for latest information and news!

https://www.facebook...774749289219004

----------------

New Customer Review on 13 May!

Hi James,

Just like to say thank you for your service of the modded mac mini and the Plixir balanced power supply. Here is my comment about the modded mac mini and the balanced power supply. Soundstage, resolution and micro detail, all are improving after the mod. I highly recommended for mac mini user who use this as a music server to get their mac mini modded and with the Plixir DC Balanced Power Supply. Once again James thank you so much.

Regards

Elias

EliasMacMiniPowerSupplySetup_zps174fb52f.jpg

Review from Customer who used our Mac Mini Power supply to power his laptop (Sony) and solved his hum problem in the process!

image_zps41e8b8d6.png

Dear James,

I am very happy with your Balanced DC Power Supply for my Laptop! It has solved my noise problem!

Previously, whenever I plug my D-SPEAKER ANTIMODE Dual Core into my PC USB input (to stream music from PC), there will be a humming high pitched noise coming out from my speakers. I have tried many methods, getting and IFI USB power supply, trying various grounding methods (plugging everything into 1 strip to prevent ground loop) and using other power outlets but just cannot solve the noise issue totally.

After using your Balanced DC Power supply for my Laptop, the noise issue is totally solved! Now there is no more noise from the speakers whenever I stream music from my PC to the DSPEAKER. The sound quality is also much better than before!

Thanks!, Joe

---------------------

Sound Affairs Plixir Mac Mini BALANCED DC External Linear Power Supply

Info : http://mysoundaffair...c-power-supply/

IMG_0687_zps33fdf2ac.jpg

IMG_0678_zps0219c056.jpg

IMG_0664_zpsb49b60d1.jpg

Customer (Mr Pang) review:

There is an OBVIOUS improvement to (all aspects) my overall sound quality after the mod on my Mac mini and using your Plixir Balanced DC External Linear Power Supply for the Mac Mini, together with my Weiss 202 DAC.

------------------------------

Plixir Mac Mini Balanced DC External Linear Power Supply

We have been seeing a lot of customers using a Mac mini or a laptop as their Audio / Video servers and streamers. They are perfect for the job, being small, powerful and the abundance of software supporting the required features.

Our external power supply modification on the Mac Mini improves their performance dramatically. We remove the extremely noisy switched mode power supply that is in the Mac mini, and replace it with one of the industry’s lowest noise linear power supply, our Plixir Balanced DC Power supply.

After the mod, you will find day and night performance in terms of your Audio and Video streaming out from your Mac mini and Laptop. Digital Jitter over HDMI and USB/Firewire interface is lowered. Low level details, previously submerged by the power supply noise will emerge beautifully. Your video will gain natural contrast, more vibrant colors, better image depth and smoother moving scenes which you can follow the action with ease. The audio will reveal greater inner details, dynamic contrast and more natural harmonic content. The sound will be analog, with a much more natural body and improved PRaT factor that you can enjoy.

Our DC power supply is a combination of our balanced AC power conditioner (more information, please go here: http://mysoundaffair...ts/#Balanced_AC) and an ultra-low noise, two-stage DC power supply. This is the only DC power supply in the market that addresses BOTH noise issues in the mains AC voltage and the subsequent DC voltage derived from it. By reducing the native noise levels in the mains AC (especially the High Frequency Mhz and Ghz junks) the DC voltage regulators performance improves dramatically.

Balanced AC Power Conditioner Topology

Our unique balanced AC power conditioner topology conditions the incoming AC power prior to the DC power supply circuits. Besides drastically reducing the mains AC noise, it will also eliminate ground loop issues of your component. With the custom wound balanced transformer, the noise contribution from the DC rectification diode is also greatly reduced.

Two-Stage DC Voltage Regulation

In a traditional design (95% of all DC power supply in the market), there is only one regulation stage. This means that the single regulator will need to filter all the noise prior to the output voltage reaching your hi-fi equipment. This also means that the single regulator will need to manage the heat wastage (a by-product of linear power supply regulation) alone, thus, resulting in high thermal noise contribution at the output. We employ a dual stage regulation topology to overcome this problem.

An open loop, Class A driver stage pre-regulator stage is employed, prior to the actual close loop DC voltage regulator. With this pre-regulator stage, the entire DC power supply has much lower noise level than traditional designs. The pre-regulator stage reduces much of the noise and ripple that the second DC regulator needs to filter. It also draws most of the heat as well from the DC regulator.

As a result, the DC regulator stage sees much less noise level inputs, thus, improving its transient response. It also has to deal with much less heat dissipation, reducing the thermal noise output contribution. The total power supply is now less susceptible to heat damage, as the overall heat generated is managed by two devices instead of one.

Low Noise DC Power Supply Design

We deployed a proven, low noise DC power supply circuit and further optimized it for lower noise and ripple rejection. The design is rated to supply continuously 7 Amps of power. We use premium capacitors, like Panasonic FC low impedance capacitor, high current FRED diodes and OCC wires.

Rigid and sturdy aluminum chassis / Heat sink

The chassis is made from extruded anodized black aluminum of 2.5 mm thick on all sides. The front panel is 5mm thick and available in anodized black or silver. In addition, the power diodes, pre-regulator pass transistor and DC voltage regulator are mounted directly onto the bottom plate. Thus the whole chassis also acts as a heat sink for the circuit.

Benefits of using our Plixir Balance DC power supply

With the use of our power conditioners, you will find that your audio have much lower noise floor, as well as better dynamic contrast. There will be more clarity and TRUE details come out in spades, with better sound staging. Bass becomes tighter and PRaT factor increases. Most importantly, the harmonic tone of the voices and instruments becomes more natural. The audio will have a much more analog sound, with greater fluidity to your music. See our customer reviews here: http://mysoundaffair...roduct-reviews/

Mac Mini DC Power Supply Modification (from 2010 till latest model)

We can provide the service to remove the existing SMPS and install a DC jack (high current 2.5mm) to connect with our power supply, using high current OCC copper cables. The cost is SGD$150.

Technical Specification:

•Unique built in balanced AC power conditioner; eliminate high frequency AC noise and ground loops.

•2-stage DC voltage regulation Circuit

•Class A driven Pre-regulator stage eliminates most of the noise and heat for subsequent DC voltage regulator stage.

•Low noise DC voltage regulator stage.

•Short circuit and thermal overheat protection.

•7 Amps current continuous, 9.5 Amps peak current.

•Factory Adjustable from +3.3 VDC to +20 VDC output.

•Available in 110 Vac or 230 Vac AC input voltage.

•Weight : 4.0 kg

•Dimension (in mm): 210 x 50 x 210

Plixir Balanced DC Power Supply for Mac mini : SGD $750

Mac Mini DC Power Supply Modification : SGD $150

Info : http://mysoundaffair...c-power-supply/

IMG_0597_zpsa6eea05e.jpg

shoppicture_zps1f0b6be9.jpg

James Soh

Sound Affairs Pte Ltd

www.mysoundaffairs.com

100 beach road, Shaw tower. #02-34. S189702

Tel : 9694 9704. (11am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday. Do call before coming over as I could be out for installation)

Sign in to follow this