Sign in to follow this  
kenshinz

Questions regarding building the CMoy

Greetings fellow forumers, after reading through the guide at Tangent?s, I got interested in trying to build my own CMoy amp as a beginner?s project. (Always interested in learning new things, especially anything I could make on my own) However, as I?ve totally no experience in electronics, I would like to ask the gurus here a few questions.

1) Besides SLT, are there any other places in Singapore that I could get all the parts from? Heard that Farnell and RS are super ex.

2) Any shops in SLT which you guys recommend over the others, or any which to avoid at all cost?

3) For the board, my friend told me that the board design shown on Tangent?s site is not available in Singapore. If that?s the case, what else are available as substitutes?

3) Regarding the parts listed on the guide, are there any components which could/should be changed to improve the amp overall?

Hope you guys don?t find my questions stupid, and Thanks in advance! thumbup1.gif

1) For cheap parts, try Koba..3rd storey people's park. The one opposite chinatown pt.

2) No particular shop SLT..I usually get my stuff from several shops on 3rd storey and basement.

3) The same board can be found at SLT. But you have to saw to minature size.. Alternatively just wire link them, not that hard.

4) Improvent.. Try increasing the value of C1 to 0.47uF or higher. Better bass response. IMHO, don't spend too much on the cmoy.

Thanks for the quick response, will take note of them.

For the board, is it sold in most of the shops, or just a particular shop ?

Edited by kenshinz

Cmoy is very good for beginers to learn. Don't spend exceeding $20 as it is not worth the money anymore.

Here are some tips:

Get carbon resistor for 3 cents each.

Instead of using resistor to devide the voltage, recommend to use rail splitter.

I didn't add a volume pot as I use the player volume control.

I can give you a 16V 4700uF cap free. (buy too much sleep.gif )

how abt sound wise? is it a big difference with the CMoy?

cause i don't use high-end, high impedance cans when i'm outside, so do i really need an amp? unsure.gif

right now my portable setup is this:

MPio mp3 player

Koss Plug /w ety sponge

i used to hate Koss Plug, dump it the drawer for abt 3 months after buying it mad.gif sounded like S**T lol.gif

then someone told me try it with the ety sponge, now i use it everyday, i had to turn off the bass on the mp3 player as it became too heavy with the sponge tongue.gif all that bass was making me dizzy w00t.gif

so just wondering what the portable amp would do in my currently setup mellow.gif

Instead of using resistor to devide the voltage, recommend to use rail splitter.

I can give you a 16V 4700uF cap free. (buy too much  sleep.gif )

Hi, which resistor do i replace with the rail splitter, and do i need to modify anything on the board? (Sorry, but i really know nuts about this, doing a lot of reading now)

As for the 16V 4700uF cap, i read on Tangent's site that if i intend to use two 9V batteries, the 16V cap would be too low, is this true ?

Once again, thanks !

To me. The CMOY sounded too high or harsh for my HD600 but always sounded better than the portable player.

Using an amp outdoor would gives better control on the sound.

Tomorrow I would be bringing my MD-->PPA-->HD600 for outdoor test using 6 AA batteries. biggrin.gif

Hi, which resistor do i replace with the rail splitter, and do i need to modify anything on the board? (Sorry, but i really know nuts about this, doing a lot of reading now)

As for the 16V 4700uF cap, i read on Tangent's site that if i intend to use two 9V batteries, the 16V cap would be too low, is this true ?

Once again, thanks !

Hi.

You do not need the rail splitter or voltage devider resistor if you use 2 9V. Wire the centre of the 2 battery as ground.

I'll give you 2 caps then... wink.gif Each cap for each 9v batt.

To me. The CMOY sounded too high or harsh for my HD600 but always sounded better than the portable player.

Using an amp outdoor would gives better control on the sound.

Tomorrow I would be bringing my MD-->PPA-->HD600 for outdoor test using 6 AA batteries.  biggrin.gif

can i came alone for the test? biggrin.gif tomorrow my off day party.gif

u might need someone to look out for cars on the road for u if u are walking around with the HD600 on your head laugh.gif

biggrin.gif so i just look out for someone with a HD600 on their head right?

i'll hav my Koss plug in my ears laugh.gif

won't be using my W1000...cause ppl might think we are crazy if see us walking round these cans lol

the HD600 alone will draw enough attention lol.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

I'll give you 2 caps then... wink.gif Each cap for each 9v batt.

Eh sorry but I'm abit lost here. I thought the original design calls for 2 caps in the 1st palce regardless of whether I'm using 1 or 2 9V batt ?? wacko.gif

BTW thanks for the offer !!