Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

1st time in my life

Today some people came to my school for performance. They, obviously, brought their own portable system. When it all started, they discovered that the speakers were somehow not connected properly and no sound was produced. Then after about 3 mins of troubleshooting, 1speaker came to life. The other, they could not revive it. Ok. That was not speaker blowing.

With only 1 speaker and the auditorium so big (around 600 seater), the speaker kept peaking. BTW, the speakers weren't that powerful ones. And it was only the size of an ordinary deuter bag filled (or a little shorter). There is an indicator on the speaker, which, from time to time, turned red and orange, indicating peaking. They ignored it, and continued blasting. Finally, at one moment, it sounded awkward when one guy was speaking. The highs were cut off, and it sounded like some low bitrate MP3 or some portable PA. Without the highs of course. Hm, I was wondering, what happened. Then suddenly when the people all talked together, the volume became loud enough for the tweeters to come to live again. Then when the volume wasn't enough, the tweeter "dieded" again. OMFG! The first time in my life I see a speaker (or at least, a tweeter) blow! It must have been an expensive performance, for they blew one speaker while performong1

hm... poor speaker..

edit: must be you did it right? tongue.gif

played around with the speaker too much so it exploded? biggrin.gif

Edited by Blues

LOL!

Never saw a speaker blow before, probably couldn't stand the racket it produced before the impending blow-out. You had my teeth gritting with your description lek!

I was at first quite shocked, because I was in the control room and the speaker was very far. So I could not see the speaker properly. And I though it was a horn tweeter. And i was like : Huh? Horn tweeter blow?

Only after everyone left and we had to pack up the auditorium did I see that they weren't horn.

It always REALLY annoys me when the sound system for a show/concert/club/something is driven to the point of distortion. Its like the engineer cant hear that it sounds sh*t!

We blew out an active Mackie PA subwoofer at college during rehearsal for a gig. That was fun!

The band played and when the chorus came the bass just went crazy and the highs on the mid-high speaker were clipping badly. Then it went okay for a moment then the bass went MAD and it cut out. I think there must have been DC passing through the bass driver. A room the size for about 300 people, although only 10 or so were in there and everyone was holding their stomachs because of the bass!

That?s the first time I have seen and experienced a 500watt RMS subwoofer blow up!

w00t.gif

Edited by Tenson

The Nazis did experiment with using very low frequency as a weapon. Supposedly it caused extreme nausea.

Ya, also heard of infrasonic being experimented as a possible weapon during WW2. Suppose cause our internal organs to resonate thus the naseauting effect.

One thing is sure. The capacitors on the crossover network are kaput. As the defect was still in the early stages, higher input volume can force the tweeter to come to life but this compensation won't last long. Eventually, no amount of high input levels will revive it. If one removes the defective capacitors, they should look blown-up at the top and bottom. The consolation is the tweeter is still functional. A burnt coil would not emit sound no matter how much input one feeds into it.

Edited by Mackie

they managed to blow a speaker?! wow!

wait.. are we talking about the same thing here? w00t.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

I heard the speaker's leg went soft after that w00t.gifw00t.gif