dalethorn

Bose QC-25 Around-ear Noise Canceling Stereo Headphone review

Here's the Bose QC-25 - the most famous of the noise cancelers I think. And it's extremely good at canceling noise, with a couple minor caveats. From what I hear with this headphone, they managed to not only be the best at noise cancellation, but they produced a near-perfect audiophile signature at the same time. I can't say that all aspects of the sound quality are audiophile-grade, but listening to many very familiar music tracks, the details were present and the tone qualities seemed correct. The build quality is luxurious, and if the QC-25 proves to be durable, the $300 USD price tag seems like a good value. In the picture links I included, you'll be able to see the major differences between the Active mode and Passive mode signatures.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4209

I've been discovering more as I go along. One big thing I didn't know in the review tests - if you're in a noisy area and benefitting from the Noise Canceling, and it's outdoors and windy, the mics that measure the ambient noise will also pick up the wind, just like a digital camera making a video. And that wind noise will overpower the music even with a 10 mph breeze if you're facing into it. That makes me wonder if there's already a solution for it, or whether a solution is even possible.

Another discovery about the QC25: If you listen with your head down somewhat, with chin close to chest, the QC25 produces a fairly strong rumble, which disappears as soon as you lift your head. It may be that the mics are in those small holes at the bottom of the earcups, and they don't like being crowded or blocked.