Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

A look at Beyer Pro and closed-back cans

You just contradicted yourself.

Hi All,

I am totally bowled over by Mackie's review and also after some useful offline consultation with N@z on the DT150s.

Being a newbie, ipod/pc kinda guy with a supermini v3, I'm now contemplating either the DT150 or the DT250 (80ohms) as a one-size-fits-all home headphone. I think picking up a decent amp (and eventually a good CDP) to complement the headphone is inevitable, as long as I keep surfing this forum tongue.gif

My concern is cash and space.

As I was mentioning to N@z, I'm considering the Headsave Tempo or to wait for some good deal to come up in the Classifieds. Don't need a portable amp, since the size of the Beyers (esp. DT150)doesn't look very portable, but don't want a full sized/priced chunky amp if possible. tongue.gif Is the Tempo suitable as a home one-size-fits-all amp?

Question is whether the star studded potential of the DT150s will be sufficiently realized by the Tempo or other amp at that price range S$200 to S$300(Creek OBH-11?), or whether I will be better off with the DT250 (80ohms)?

Will I regret buying the DT250 (80ohms) if/when I upgrade to the more expensive stuff that can handle 250ohms?

As a curve ball, can the Tivoli CD player, which has a headphone jack, serve as a CDP/amp to drive the DT150 as well as some of the cheaper amps?

Or should I just order a CD3000 from Japan for US$335 (which kind of works out to be the opportunity cost of a DT150+amp) and use it un-amped?

Last question, my sis is heading to the UK for a break. Is there a die die must buy value for money headphone amp there?

I apologise for so many questions, some possibly answered elsewhere in the forum, but would really welcome your views, suggestions, recommendations and kangtows! w00t.gif

Cheers!

Scriberex

Edited by Scriberex

I guess I won't repeat our discussion again. Tired of writing!

Concerning the 'die die must buy' VFM headphone in UK. If it's still available at ASK Direct stores in Tottenham Court Road, the HD600 is 135 quid (used to be even better value at 120) if you are interested to partner it with the Creek.

http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask....=351&topcatid=7

Notice that they also have the DT250 (98 quid) but it doesn't mention whether it's 250 or 80 ohms.

They're here! kicking.gifheadphone.gif Warming them up as I type this. Gimme at least this weekend to get accustomed to the sound & maybe I'll post initial impressions (These have been pre-burned-in by Mackie for me for over 200 hrs) after that. Maybe by next weekend a longer write up so I can compare them with the DT250, DT880 & HD600. wink.gif

Thanks again Mackie for ALL your trouble!

P.s.

Thanks also to Rameish for the Tungsram/Mullard tube. I wasn't expecting it to be NEW! ohmy.gif

N@Z, it is NOS (New Old Stock). It's a Tungsram (althought labelled as Mullard). As Mullard factories closed they still had to fufill various contracts - so one of the OEM they picked was Tungsram. Hence the dual nature of this tube. Still, it goes for about USD$30 at NOS stores. So have fun. Happy Birthday mate.

Yeah it felt like Deja Vu! Finally, I have my pressies I bought for myself!