dalethorn

FLAC conversions from 16/44 WAV files are smaller than MP3s.

I have a major DSD conversion issue, and my experience (lengthy) is described below. I think I have everything covered, with input from many experts. The key issue is some extremely suspect conversions being done with a top-rated software player and converter.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/community/threads/flac-conversions-from-16-44-wav-files-are-smaller-than-mp3s.4517/

After one week of ripping several solo piano and violin/piano SACDs (16/44 CD layer only) to WAV and FLAC -- those SACDs by the same recording company that made the original DSD files -- my FLACs ranged from 31 to 40 percent of the WAV size, or at minimum 40 percent larger than 320 kbps MP3s.  The only CD where I was able to compress FLACs to MP3 size was a CD containing long silent pauses within the music, which was unlistenable in any case.  I've concluded, with unexpected help from two expert sources, that the DSD to 24/88 FLAC software I purchased is either defective outright, or it intentionally embeds a stealth form of DRM into the conversions.  I was not able to pursue this further outside of ripping these SACDs, because information was being withheld by persons who were offended by my questioning the validity of the conversions.

I finally got caught up this evening on my backlog of reviews, so I ripped Disc 1 of my Silverman/Mozart Sonatas by IsoMike on SACD.  I ripped the CD layer only, and converted the 16/44 WAV tracks to FLAC using Foobar2000 and the FLAC v1.3.1 codec.  The compression was to 36.5 percent of the WAV size, i.e. the totals:

WAV: 697115244 bytes

FLAC: 254379988 bytes

Since this is essentially the same type/technique/content density as the Silverman/Chopin IsoMike DSDs, and since the IsoMike folks made this SACD and its CD layer using the correct conversion software, it's clear that the compression to 23 percent that I got from the JRiver-produced WAV files is very short on 16/44 content.