Sign in to follow this  
zuglufttier

500 Euro to spend...

Hi there!

I've got a little problem smile.gif It's my birthday next month and, well, christmas. This means that I will be able to spend around 500 for my system if i sell my Sennheiser HD 600. What would you recommend me to buy? A good amp for 300 Euro or completely new headphones for 500? My source is a Yamaha CDX 1050 which I don't want to change. The other possible investition would be new loudspeakers and then I'd be able to shell out a mere 600 after selling my current ones (Quadral Taurin MK III). The product to purchase may be new or used, I don't really mind =) Hope you're having some good suggestions!

zuglufttier,

Welcome back. You were missing in action. You dont seem to mention anything about cables - either power cords or interconnects or headphone cable for the HD-600. Before you sell of your gear, be sure that you are indeed hearing their true performance with better than average cables. You'll be surprised how a budget componet can sound when using a super interconnect. As my own personal rule of thumb - spend as much as 500 Eur - yes all of it on a very good silver interconnect.

There are cheap silver interconnects that use less than 5 N siler and they sound horrid - worse than good old OFC copper. BUT a 5N silver IC will let you know the true sonic merits of your cdp and headamp. Interconnects are the best 2nd hand buys in that used ones do sound better and there is almost no wear and tear.

My 2¢.

Oh, all I own are just some cheaper interconnects and no special power cords and I even don't have a headphone amp smile.gif I think without an amp there won't be a really big difference in terms of sound smile.gif Hence my question whether to buy an amp or completely other headphones which like to be driven without an amp!

BTW: I also have a pair of Philips HP 890 lying 'round here. There are way harder to drive as my Sennheisers! They don't go really loud. Ever since I've been hearing that the Sennheisers don't go loud enough... Can someone explain? wink.gif

If you like the sound from your present headphones then I'd recommend you get a headphone amp. For that kind of money you can get a really good amp from Meier-Audio/headroom plus decent interconnect cables. Your HD600 will shine!

BTW: I also have a pair of Philips HP 890 lying 'round here. There are way harder to drive as my Sennheisers! They don't go really loud. Ever since I've been hearing that the Sennheisers don't go loud enough... Can someone explain? wink.gif

The HP890's are 32ohm impedance cans; The Sennheiser HD600's are 300ohm impedance cans.

As such, the HP890's require less voltage swing on the output but require a hell lot more current/ power to drive.

The HD600's require more voltage swing but much less power to drive.

Most amps are current limited, not voltage limited. They're more likely to be able to drive high impedance cans easily than low impedance cans.

I would say get the Corda HA-1 (MkI) and some interconnects. Alternatively you could go for the HA-2 which is a bit over your budget and get interconnects later.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif try out Meier Audio

for the HA1 (mk I) .... i think is located in germany as well !! happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Oh, I found out that a Rega Ear will cost me about 230 Euro whereas the Corda is quite a bit more expensive. Which one is better? Especially for the HD 600?

The Corda HA-1 (if still available) is only 45 Euros more, which is well within your original budget. Look at the specs & if you can find the specs for the Rega Ear try comparing it. The Alps Blue volume pot on the Corda alone is worth alot of money.

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/ha1.htm

The Rega is a commercial amp and as such offers less value for the money. However sound wise, I have never heard the rega. The Corda HA-1 does sound good with the Senn HD-600.

How is the Corda connected to the source? I know that the Rega will have to be plugged into my normal amp via tape out or something. Is the Corda a standalone unit? Which I actually would prefer...

It functions exactly the same as the Rega Ear. You could either directly connect it from your source's output (using suitable interconnects) or from your amplifier via the tape out.