Sign in to follow this  
seanie

Which one should I get?

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing the earphones that come with the ipod, so here are a few choices that I'm considering.

That sony 888 fontopia, grados 60, A-T Titatium sticks, or EM7.

What do you guys think? I need something for all round music since I listen to about everything. These earphones seem to be the most mentioned around here, so I thought I'd just ask.

Hi, there's a recent discussion on headphones for Ipod here.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=53118

Speaking of Grados, Belgarion is selling his second hand SR80s in case you are interested. tongue.gifhttp://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=1552

Other headphones that are quite popular for ipods are: Sony EX71, comes in black or white (to match the ipod tongue.gif ), Shure E2, Sennheiser MX500, Sennheiser PX100/PX200, and the Koss KSC-35 (not available in local shops). If you can afford the US$200+ price tag, try the Etymotics ER4P.

Just do a search in this forum or head-fi.org to zoom in on the reviews. Happy hunting!

Cheers!

Hmm.... Just checked out the PX200... isnt' the frequency response a little low?

Can we find those eggos in singapore?

Btw, are any of the earphones I mentioned earlier good at all?

well all those are good cans that you have mention !!! laugh.giflaugh.gifhappy.gif

Your choice of cans will depend on where you do most of your listening with the Ipod. If its mostly at home, office or some other quiet indoor environment, the Grado SR80 is an excellent choice(I've borrowed my friend's ipod and used it at home with the grados). If you listen to the Ipod on the bus/ MRT when travelling to work and back home, then you need something with some isolation, or else you'll have to blast the volume to be able to hear clearly, and provide free music for the person next to you.

The Etys do a magnificent job in both sound quality and isolation, but they're very expensive, and I understand from all the feedback on them, not for everyone, depending on ear canal shape, tolerance for microphonics, possible allergy to the silicon earbuds etc etc etc. And it takes a while to learn how to insert them correctly (again, this differes from person to person depending on individual ear canal shape)

For myself the Etys work just fine. etys.gif

Well...I do intend to listen to music while I'm on the bus/MRT...so I guess that might mean the Grado should be out of the question right?

Ermm...I definitely cannot afford the Etys as I'm a NSF. dry.gif

I gotta admit that I was actually seriously considering the sony 888, but then think that 1) earplugs are not so ermm...cool and 2) tempted by grado thanks to all the rave reviews.

Anyone here actually tried the sony 888s before? Are they really good? How do the eggos compare to the 888s? The frequency range seems kind of small...

have you consider getting the mx500 for your portable needs ? Many people have compared the sony 888 vs mx 500. Majority claims that the 888 does not justify to its pricetag, and votes for the mx 500.

The mx 500 cost only $30 and it's definitely the best buy at this price.

Another suggestion is to try the Shure E2 (about S$171, a little cheaper on ebay) for clarity and isolation, and comfortable foamie tips. Agree that the MX500 is the best buy for that price.

Problem is, I heard that the Sennheisers tend to have strong bass, and I don't really like anything that comes through too much...

the mx500 is relatively basslight (in comparison to the sony EX71s). I use the mx500s myself for public transport listening, and at $30, it's a very good buy. Only complaint is the isolation is not really there. You can still hear people talking and the irritating TVmobile, but it's definitely better than the Grados (I got a pair too and I can't hear a thing on the bus)

I did a A/B comparison with my friends EX71 (in the office, so quiet environment) and personally, I prefer the mx500s. The Ex71s go lower(or the illusion of the booming bass) but the mx500s midrange is much nicer.

Bang for the buck too.

Chris

ps. If you don't need the volume control, you can always get the mx400, think it's the same model except that the 500 has a volume control(not sure though) and it's about 20ish.

Edited by yongchris

seanie: I noticed U've concerns on frequency response being "small" and "low" in your previous posts and wonder if U've a misconception concerning this area.

I'm just guessing but are U concerned cans capable of performing near or lower than the human's aural perception at 20Hz will give U boomy bass? If it's a yes.gif , U need not worry. I doubt most of us can't hear sound in the 20-30Hz range and more often than not, U can only feel the bass. Boomy bass is tantamount to a hump in mid-upper bass region around 64-256Hz.

Another concern regarding "small" freq range; do U mean to say the 888's freq response is narrower than human's hearing range at 20-20KHz and could be a detriment? Actually, the specs are measured in a hypothetically environment which does not give a true gauge of its performance. Moreover, most music especially the contemporary genres do not cover the whole of 20-20Hz and often much less but well within the commonly specified frequency range of cans.

Edited by Mackie

Hmm... I guess I prefer a wider frequency range as I listen to classical and symphonic stuff, where I believe the range is quite important. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm still learning about these stuff.

I never knew getting earphones could be such a complicated and learned process! I respect you guy's knowledge in these things, guess it's one of the those understated things to know about.

try to read up the old threads laugh.gif ... if you have the time happy.gif .. from there you can learn a lot more !!! wub.gif