Rameish

The Correct Way To Run In Your Headphone

hard drives wont wear out that soon as long as they have proper air circulation as do any electronics. =]

Is it necessary to run in a pair of earphones, take for example the MX500? Will there be any difference if I decide to run in my equipment later, after using them for say a period of a few weeks?

running is the same as using them. Its just that using them would take a much much longer time because when you use them you dont turn them on 24hr. Also, using them for the first 24 hrs, if you turn up the volume its very dangerous. For a earbud, basically, burn in is not necessarily for the improvement is insignificant and burn in time is so darn short. You would burn them in after a few hours of usage. Just be careful not too turn on over morderate volume for the first few hours of usage of the earbuds.

Or of course you could accelerate the burn-in process by following Rameish's guide.

Rameish- Do I have to run in like that continuously? If I adjust the volume, do I have to repeat the entire process again? I won't ruin the cans if I started playing it for a few hours at moderate-high vol before running-in, right?

There is a possibilty of damaging cans if turned on over moderate volume during the first 50 hours. This seldom happens, but there are cases, like somewhere in the forum ever happened to a E888. Not worth it to risk it.

Edited by lekguan

To sum it all up, the term "burn-in or run-in" represents usage of your equipment. One might use his sound system for a few hours a day but for new gears to reach optimal operating condition sooner, running-in or burning-in through continuous feed of audio signals down the entire system chain is beneficial.

Lets think maths. If U were to listen to your cans 2 hours/day. Continuous 24-hour feed of music at moderate volume through the same pair of cans is equivalent to 12 days worth of normal usage. If this is the amount of burn-in your cans need to reach optimal level, U get to hear it sooner through proper burn-in. If U wish to skip such a burn-in process, your cans will only reach the same optimal level 12 days later. The result is the same and difference is the time factor.

Let me add on, for some cans, if you do not burn in, you will "die" of harsh highs/fatigue and the like if you listen to them.

Thus the reason why burn in is recommended. To save you a headache, and also prevent you from throwing your equipment away before you have heard their potential.

Edited by lekguan

thanks smile.gif i'm leaving both my mx500 on px100 on burn-in when i zzz... i'm burning em straight at moderate level for a week or so.

Good for U. However, I perceive your MX500 should reach optimal condition after a few days of 24/7 burn-in. PX100 will take longer.

ah ic, so burning in hasn't to be continuous. thanks for ur replies! anyway mackie, how does it feel to own so many cans? i feel kinda bad when i neglect the others. sad2.gif haha...

How do I feel? Hmm.......poorer in terms of financial asset but richer in listening pleasure. I rotate the use of my cans usually to the musical genre and sometimes my mood.