Rameish

The Correct Way To Run In Your Headphone

I read from here ,

http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

that

"The general rule is about 40 hours. Some people burn-in their headphones quickly playing them 40 hours continuously after bringing them home. This may not be good because, the diaphragm may be too weak at this time and should not be pushed to the limit. The best thing to do may be to plug your headphones into your computer or mp3 player, set the volume to medium, and let your music play for up to 4-5 hours a day for 5 days (perhaps, while you are at work or sleeping). After that, your headphones will most likely sound their best. Note: you do not need to listen the whole time."

Is this true? Because if it is , I might have f*cked up my ATH M50 by playing it continously for around 50~60 hours straight..

I read from here ,

that

"The general rule is about 40 hours. Some people burn-in their headphones quickly playing them 40 hours continuously after bringing them home. This may not be good because, the diaphragm may be too weak at this time and should not be pushed to the limit. The best thing to do may be to plug your headphones into your computer or mp3 player, set the volume to medium, and let your music play for up to 4-5 hours a day for 5 days (perhaps, while you are at work or sleeping). After that, your headphones will most likely sound their best. Note: you do not need to listen the whole time."

Is this true? Because if it is , I might have f*cked up my ATH M50 by playing it continously for around 50~60 hours straight..

well, does it sound weird? If so, yes. If not, you're ok.

well, does it sound weird? If so, yes. If not, you're ok.

But from most of the articles I have read , they say that one should just play music/noise continously through the Headphone for 100+ hours , if that is true isn't the 40 hour thing kinda contradicting?

But from most of the articles I have read , they say that one should just play music/noise continously through the Headphone for 100+ hours , if that is true isn't the 40 hour thing kinda contradicting?

honestly, just do what you think is best. There's no exact science.

honestly, just do what you think is best. There's no exact science.

Wise words, direcow. :))

Fact is, not even everyone think burning in is necessary for headphones. While others swear even the AC supply cable needs burning in, which to me, is moving into the metaphysical territory, where physics cannot explain.

Me, I just believe in burning in for things which move (eg. headphones, speakers etc) and also for capacitors which need to form during initial use. Things like wires, hmmm, I leave that to the believers.

I read from here ,

that

The diaphragm will get to its final settled state in any case, whether you do continuous burn-in, or just use it every day for a few hours (you know, like how most normal folks use their regular headphone?). Running it continuously makes no difference, because the material will not (and cannot, by design) deform to the point of damage, unless you subject it to too much instantaneous power.

Wise words, direcow. :))

Fact is, not even everyone think burning in is necessary for headphones. While others swear even the AC supply cable needs burning in, which to me, is moving into the metaphysical territory, where physics cannot explain.

Me, I just believe in burning in for things which move (eg. headphones, speakers etc) and also for capacitors which need to form during initial use. Things like wires, hmmm, I leave that to the believers.

Quoted for truth.

Truth you can believe in :thumbup:

Edited by radioactive28

jus plug it in n listen as usual man...wat's wif the fuss with burn in? u bought a headphone/speaker jus use it n it will b burnt in...doesnt make sense as stated above...the driver will settle bac in it's rest state when it is nt powered...jus dn blast ur cans if they r nt meant for tt kinda of vol..it's like power limit for speakers i guess?