Sign in to follow this  
Gouki

What do you guys/gals think of SONY CD3000?

I've had both the DT880 and CD3000, and I felt the CD3000 is clearly a big step up from the DT880, which to me lacked any kind of bass impact, but had it had good bass impact then it would have been more interesting for me. As it was I feel the DT880 sounds thin and lacks balls. I do not perceive any rounding of bass on the CD3000, which sounds faster and more dynamic to these ears.

I'm a little puzzled as to why the CD3000 is described as laid back, it seems far from it to these ears, much less so than the DT880 or HD650, but it is more laid back than the Grado SR-80.

Edited by pbirkett

After comparing the DT880 and cd3k again ...

(Well I've borrowed NT's Dt880 unit  )

I hate to say this as the owner of the cd3k, but it falls abit short on the bass and dynamics(not that I was unaware of it..but..). The bass is much snappier on the 880. Drums etc sound really fast and snappy whereas on the cd3k sounds a little slow and 'rounded?'.I believe it doesn't go quite as deep too(gives u this wanna puke feeling if u listen too much drums on the cd3k..  ).

Hrm if only I have more chance to compare it to the HD600+aftermarket cable and the grado rs-1.. then we can really see how it stacks against the high-end cans hrmmm 

As it stands, it is still my favourite can.. for the price that I paid for .. totally no regret  . Just that I wish it was smaller so that I can lie on bed with it  . Not that I can't , but it will get pushed forward and it will alter the sound slightly. Beyer dt880 can do the job, etys (nothing to say  ). I might look for other can that can complement my listening 'style' that is .. lie on bed

so you say cd3k are beaten overall by dt880 ?

Nope.

IMO it's more refined than 880. Vocals are warmer and more delicate, if I may add, out of my setup.

In some area like bass speed, though I feel 880 is better. Then again, cd3k is not perfect. I am glad that it gets alot of things right for me. For that, I have a hard time letting it go, but I may coz of some circumstances.

FYI, I did own 880 at one point in time and then sold it for cd3k wink.gif

Edited by Blues

First and foremost, reassess your new pair of DT880 after half a year of usage and whatever conclusions U've drawn on the sound will be changed to different degrees; more improvement heard in the bass and mids departments.

I've also done a direct comparison of DT880 to CD3K and both are good cans in their own right. However, 60% price premium (estimated) of CD3K over DT880 must be considered even if the former sounds better. However, this measure of sonic "yield" is hard to measure for each individual has different benchmark.

In a nutshell, bass of CD3K is full and punchy but slightly less extended relative to DT800. Mids are also fuller and more appealing than DT880's which takes some time to accomodate its recessed nature. One might say CD3K projects a stark superiority in this sonic aspect over DT880 on initial exposure.

However, DT880 is certainly more snappier as noted in complex jazz pieces with lots of drum snares and dynamics. CD3K tend to gloss over this with a smooth and relaxed approach. DT880 also offers an alternative enjoyment ie. physical sensation. Many a time, Ã've felt my skin sensing air movement on low notes albeit not audible, much akin to some subs like SVS which goes lower than human's aural range.

In summary, CD3K is a very refined and smooth and yet never lazy nor slow operator which would appeal to most on first encounter. Relatively, DT880 takes some time for it to be appreciated but both cans can co-exist with different genres of music. The only drawback is the high price tag of CD3K. If it costs the same or 30% premium over DT880, CD3K is definitely a must-have based on the repertoire of music in my collection. YMMV.