duckling

Senn 212Pro Vs 280Pro

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting the above cans - 212Pro is $99+ and 280Pro is $229. I am wondering for $100+ more is it worth to get the 280Pro.

I will be using it for watching DVD Movies and Listening to music occassionally.

I did try-out the 280Pro for a while, less than 5 min and it does sound good to me but it's a little tight to my head, it may lead to discomfort at the end of a movie. Another problem is the cord which is only 1 meter long, too short (212pro is 3 meters).

Your views will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Guest kcits

hiya,

well unfortunately, i haven't seriously been able to listen to the 280pro, but i did have the hd212 pro for a few months. anyway, i think you would like the hd212pro only if you like a lot of bass; its soundstage is quite small (ie, not much separation between instruments... it sounds like everything is stuck within a small space near your head), and the treble is quite harsh. i found them pretty uncomfortable after a few minutes, too (the inner part of the headphone presses on your ear.)

from what i've read online (and heard for only about 2 minutes), the 280pro seems to have better instrument separation and a lot less bass. perhaps that could make dialogue clearer if you use it for watching movies.

hope that helped anyway smile.gif

Edited by kcits

While I was at the airport, out of interest I tried out the HD280Pros. It sounded bright compared to the HD570 which in turn had better bass definition however this is on the usual multi rack so you can't really call it a very good comparison & the music was LOUD! Both felt very comfortable the HD570 even more so due to the velvet pads & lighter clamping pressure (not that the HD280pro had high clamping force on my head). Hd280pro looks very well built 'in the flesh' compared with the HD212pro.

I should have tried out the HD212pro on the other side but the attendant kept disturbing me & doing the hard sell bit so I just left! On hindsight he did me a favour as I didn't buy a pair of headphones just for the hell of it like I did with the PX200! LOL!

I'd been reading up on the Senn HD280Pro and the Ultrasone HFI-650 TM...too bad the DVD Edition is not available in Sin or included in Mackie's deal.

I have both the HFI-650 and the Senn HD280pro.

After ran in the HFI-650 is IMHO better than the HD280pro. The 280pro lose out mainly on the highs, but has better bass. For home use 650 is better.

For me I use closed headphones for listening on MRT/bus and in that aspect the HD280pro outperfroms HFI for practical issues. First the noise attenuation is much better for 280pro, the ear pads are bigger and more comfortable, and the coil headphone wire is very convenient on the move as you can varies the cable lenth as you wish whereas the un-coil type like the HFI you need to coil up the extra length.