Sign in to follow this  
Absolute0

Marantz CD-63 KI

Hi All, as I mentioned earlier, I connect my Philips 890 directly to the CDP. I do hear distortion sometimes. Is this distortion due to the player or the headphone? The other thing is that I need to adjust the CDP volume to almost minimum when listening, otherwise its too loud for me, am I missing something? I read somewhere that there's loss of detail if the volume is adjusted low. Thanks for the help. Cheers laugh.gif

On my Marantz CD-6000 OSE the Philips 890 did sound okay. The 6000 OSE uses the NJM 4556 chip for the headphone section. What chip does the 63 use?

if i recall correctly, the headphone circuitry in most cdp's arent really done well. I think you would be better off with a headphone amp.

not on this CDP. to my ears, the headphone out of CD63 is good. there is no major difference between listening to CD63->X-cans and direct from its headphone out. there is difference but not much. and it drives the DT 880 quite well.

Sipher, did you hear any distortion before when connecting directly to the headphone out? Maybe I set the volume to high. Ususally, I set the volume to level 3. By level 3, I meant the volume indicator has 3 dots/bars.

For some reason, I can't get past the first bar without suffering from perceived imminent hearing damage...

ngtp1971, no i dont hear any distortion when using DT 880, HD 200 or Koss ksc-55. maybe u can try lower the volume?

Absolute0, have u bought the CDP already?

Hmm...well in that case Absolute Zero, I really don't know what's causing the distortion.

Very stange indeed.

Yes I would rate the headphone output from the marantz CD-63 or the later model the CD-6000OSE as decent. However even using the Grado RA-1 (which uses the same op-amp btw), there's a significant improvement in sound when combared to the headphone output from the Marantz. Absolute - do you know if your unit has been modded in anyway?

Hmm... first bar... Absolute0, are you using philips 890 as I am? Maybe I did listen at too high a level...

Sipher, I presume the headphones that you mentioned are more difficult to drive as compared with my philips, right? Anyway, I'll try with lower volume. wink.gif

Rameish, my unit has not been modded in any way.

i guess only the DT 880 is harder to drive than your 890.

the rest that i have mentioned i think it's about the same

Sipher: Yup, I've bought the player. headphone.gif

Rameish: I think ngtp1971 is the one hearing the distortions. I can't get past the first bar because it's just too loud for my liking, but strange enough, the volume output seems to vary on different CDs. I can actually go up to the 3rd bar comfortably on the LOTR OST, but on most other recordings, 1 bar is adequately loud. I haven't heard any distortion as yet, probably because I seldom go up to maximum volume. The unit haven't been modded AFAIK.

ngtp1971: I am using some loaned HD600's, which shouldn't be too easy to drive with an impedance of 300ohm.

I just received a PIMETA and there seems to be a marked improvement in sound quality as compared to the headphone-out, which sounded slightly muddy and lacking in detail (guess it wasn't able to drive the HD600 to its full potential). With the amp, the bass is also faster and more impactful, and highs smoother and less "shrill".

I still have one question though. The volume of the line-out (connected to the PIMETA) seems to be affected by the volume control of the headphone-out, though only to a small extent, but definitely audible. Is this normal?

Absolute,

Sorry wrong number LOL

On the Marantz 6000 OSE the volume control (on the remote) controls bout the RCA output and the headphone output jack.

You should put the volume to maximum when you are connecting it to a dedicated headphone amplifier and control the volume from your amp.

However you may wish to experiment to see if there any any sonic differences. Treat the marant CDP's volume control as gain control.

IE bring the volume on the CDP one notch up and bring the volume control on the amp one notch down. There should be subtle differences. YMMV of course.

Have fun and happy listening

Hi guys, I tried yesterday night listening at lower volume (2 bar), and guess what, don't really hear the distortions anymore. I think maybe I'm having some hearing problem, tongue.gif , I think 2 bar is a bit soft. Anyway, no distortions is definitely better than loudness. wink.gif Cheers.

Absolute0, wah loaned HD600, where can I also loan one har? biggrin.gif