Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Headphones which work well with cheapo components?

tongue.gif

Hope this post don't offend any audiophiles, but I really don't have the budget to upgrade my player or buy a headamp. Currently using a DVD player as source, connected to a Yamaha AV receiver. Bought a Beyer DT931 from Mackie, but it sounds quite harsh and bright to my ears.

On the advice of SGH members, I subjected it to 4 weeks of burn-in. I have also received suggestions along the lines of using better interconnects (currently using optical out), getting a proper CD player, and getting a headamp to smooth out the sound and make it warmer. As mentioned earlier, all these are out of my consideration.

So are there headphones out there (<$250) that sound good even with my kind of equipment? By good I mean a warm and rich sounding quality. I like the amount of detail that the DT931 gives, but it still sounds very bright.

Edited by red_ryder

warm and rich?

for that budget, Beyerdynamic DT250-80/250 comes to mind.

It's slightly dark and will not ruthlessly reveal all the harshness, unlike the dt931.

But you should try it first at your system, if possible.

You are definitely gonna need an amp if you want good sound. However if you are budget constricted, I suggest you go for Grado/Allesandro Headphones. These phones haf relatively low impedance which makes them very easy to drive. I personally recommend going for Allesandro MS1 or a Grado SR80. I own an SR80 and I find the sound quality to be pretty good with even a PCDP.

Heard that Grados are meant for Rock Music? My musical tastes lean more towards Jazz, Classical and pop ballads.

Before purchasing a new pair of cans, I suggest U get hold of a pair of Klotz GY107 interconnects and listen to your music via dvdp+AV amp setup via the analogue route ie. bypass the optical connection. I believe whatever harshness and brightness will be significantly reduced. Sonic signatures of the Klotz should suit your taste as I see it. Even a new 1m pair costs <$46 and if it doesn't help rectify your problem, U can easily dispose of it for it's so well demanded. I reckon this is a cheaper solution than buying new cans.

Klotz GY107 + Neutrik Profi RCA connectors are available at LHS @ SLT

Edit: some spelling errors

Edited by Sipher

Before purchasing a new pair of cans, I suggest U get hold of a pair of Klotz GY107 interconnects and listen to your music via dvdp+AV amp setup via the analogue route ie. bypass the optical connection. I believe whatever harshness and brightness will be significantly reduced. Sonic signatures of the Klotz should suit your taste as I see it. Even a new 1m pair costs <$46 and if it doesn't help rectify your problem, U can easily dispose of it for it's so well demanded. I reckon this is a cheaper solution than buying new cans.

Didn't realise that there was demand for such things as interconnects??

I was hesitant to buy the interconnects because afraid that there wouldn't be any improvement and end up wasting money. Was actually considering selling off the DT931s and buying a more forgiving headphone instead.

thanks for the advice guys, I'll think about it.

interconnects actually make a diff....may not be a huge one but definitely noticeable. And by the way, the Grados do sound gd with Jazz and classical music. however they may sound a little bright.

try out Mackie's suggest first since it dont really cost much and then decide whether or not to sell off the dt931.

Heard that Grados are meant for Rock Music? My musical tastes lean more towards Jazz, Classical and pop ballads.

Sounds like a contender for the AKG K501 to me! But these babies need an amp to sound good. Sell the DT931 add that to the cost for the headphone amp even if it is just a CMOY from tropicalrips. I heard the blue metal cased CMOY & I liked it even with the DT250 (250 ohms) & hooked up to a PCDP.