Sign in to follow this  
pbirkett

Solid State Amps For CD3000

I also posted this on headfi, but I figured I'd post here as well, since there seems to be some knowledge on this board that isnt on headfi.

Basically, at the moment I am using an X-Can v3. Its ok, quite musical in its own right, but its also bright with the CD3000 (not that I mind that too much), but also its a bit thin in the bass - it seems rolled off and lacks punch.

I have contemplated hot rodding, but after doing some considerable reading (hours and hours and hours) I've decided that its not for me at all, and I am selling it.

I am after a solid state amplifier to power the CD3000, and the ones that come in my price range are....

Perreaux SXH-1

Corda HA-2

"Chiarra"

PPA

Now, I have not heard of anyone who has heard the Chiarra with the CD3000, so I'm in the dark a little about that. Also, I'd have to get it constructed and the only source I know for getting that done puts them in awful boxes. This may sound shallow, but I want something thats fairly well built, and looks decent.

All of the others do look decent. The Perreaux is known to be a good bang for buck amp for the CD3000, but is it worth spending the extra for the Corda HA-2? I originally had an HA-1 (but never with the CD3000), and although it wasnt my cup of tea, I could appreciate it was a well built and engineered amp with a clean and agile sound. The only things I didnt like was its tendency to sound bright, made all the worse by its lack of bass slam to my ears. However, I've read the HA-2 is much better, and quite different sounding to the HA-1 (mk1), and given how its supposed to be close to the Prehead it seems a good choice. Is the HA-2 and CD3000 a good combo?

Other than that, I've heard the odd report that the PPA is a good amp with the CD3000 too, and I can get this for slightly less than an HA-2.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

I can say I liked the CD-3K with HA-2 combo very much. Several users here currently own the CD-3K so if I were you I wait for them chiming in with other amps that will work well. Have you ever considered the Micro Zotl? It quite good with Sony 3K and other low impedence cans like Grado RS-1. If you're getting a PPA try the OPA-627 or 637 combo with the 627. Slightly warmer sound than the AD-8610.

Thanks Rameish, I have to say that the HA-2 does tempt me a lot, as it seems to be the case that it drives all cans wel and this flexibility might be a good thing in the future. How would you describe the sound of the HA-2 with the CD3000?l

Well that was done several months back. One thing concers me if that you didn't like the sound of the HA-1 (MkI) with the CD-3K. I would describe the HA-2 as smoother (has more legato if if like) than the HA-1 (MK1). The blacks are better as well as the bottom end is fuller yet more controlled. IMO the HA-1 (MkI) sounds mechanical (ie doing things by the numbers) when compared to the HA-2. There is very little difference between the HA-2 (if any) when compared to the PreHead. Others at Head-Fi would swear there's a significant difference bet the Pre and HA-2 but to me the Pre is slighly better for low impedence cans (I think it could be psychological as I know the PreHead uses 3 buffers per channel while the HA-2 uses one per channel so in theory the Pre should have more bass slam.) Also the Pre has better power regulation but I do think the HA-2 is the more sensible option as beyond a certain point design limitations sets in. Back to the HA-2 - well it has more textured details when compared to the HA-1 (you can tell there's skin on the drums for instance). While the cow bells still ring. Do note I'm using a very tansparent interconnect - the Kimber KS-1030 - its a little more than the price of a HA-2! BTW - I'm not a bass head (the only times I hear real deep bass is with things like the Kodo drums as my bass is usually limited to double bass type of instruments and the lower registers of such instruments like timpany drunms and grand paino) and to me I do like the sound of such cans like the Grado HP-1 and RS-1 (both of which I've owned before). The Sony 3K is like a super improved version of the MDR-7056. I happen to like this type of sound. One thing to take note is all Corda Amps do take a long time to run in IMO. It took me more than 250 hours. The first 150 or so are the most significant but subtle changes can be heard when you stop focusing on singular aspects of the music and listen to the presentaion as a whole. Some - I think Jazz - have said it takes 400 hours! So do make sure you're hearing corda ha-2 at it's best before doing anything k?

I hope this helps.

Edited by Rameish

Hi Rameish,

I wasnt that keen on the HA-1, but to be fair, I never heard it with the CD3000, only very briefly with the HD580 (I've since discovered as an HD650 owner that I'm not keen on the Sennheiser sound, too boring), but with more depth with the Beyer DT931 (too bright, too lightweight), DT770 (too bassy, seemed to have lots of rumble without much impact), DT880 (too lightweight, too boring) and finally the AKG K271 (which I thought was pretty horrible sounding). It did sound best with the HD580 if I remember correctly, sounding laid back, but clean, detailed and fast.

Some have said that the HA-2 is warmer and smoother than the HA-1, which wont be a bad thing for the Sony from what you are saying.

Just out of interest, is there much difference between the HA-1 Mk2 and HA-2 with the CD3000? I had heard the HA-1 Mk2 was much better than the HA-1 Mk1?

Cheers smile.gif

Unfortunately I have not heard the HA-1 MkII. So I really can't comment there. Looking at the specs of the HA-1MKII it seems to be so. However, I would still opt for the HA-2 because of the 120Ohm impedence better reserve cap in the power side of things and I think it has a larger transformer. But like I said I guessing here. If you have already budgeted for a Corda HA-2 then go for that or the Micro Zotl. Corda has crossfeed which I like. But the Zotl has a bit more texture to its presentation. However the only Zotl I heard was one which had its tubes rolled - so the stock version may or may not be as good - in other words, I really don't know how a stock Zotl sounds.

But a stock Corda HA-2 with Sony 3k does sound good to me esp out of the 120 ohm headphone jack (a little less bright).

BTW I do like the sound of the Beyer DT-931 with either the Corda HA-1 (MkI) or HA-2 out of the 120 ohm jack. So you'll have to temper what I'm saying with my taste (or lack of LOL).

Try and borrow one or rent one from a fellow head-fier if you like. Live with it for a week and if you don't like it send it back with a little rental gift. That's the best advice I can give u.

Unfortunately Corda HA-2 don't seem to frequent the used market (that should be telling u somthing). You do occationally see one not not for long either.

As always, sigh, YMMV.

Cheers Ramiesh. You have been a great help smile.gif

There is no clear winner for me at the moment. I dont really want to go into tubes, as I prefer the set it up and forget it nature of solid state amps, although admittedly their sound is nice for guitars and the like, but having said that, thats just my view of the X-can v3, and something tells me the stock X-Can doesnt really sound that "tubey" anyway.

The Perreaux SXH-1 is still one of the favourite candidates, there seems to be quite a few people who've tried them with the CD3000 and rate it really highly for the price - some even go so far as to say it doesnt get taken as seriously as it should because of its relatively low price (and its cheaper than either HA-1 Mk2 and HA-2). Its a shame you havent heard it. It is said to have a tube like midrange, good solid bass and detailed, crisp treble.

I am also awaiting a quote for a PPA amp, although I suspect with diamond buffers this could end up as expensive as an HA-2, so wouldnt be 100% sure which way to go. Such a hard choice, because of the inability to hear any of these amps (I am in the UK, which makes things twice as complicated as it would be in the US). Definitely a hard choice...

@Q00 - I had the HD580 for about a month, and I had the HD650 about two weeks. The HD580 was loaned to me a fair few months ago, and I only recently sold the HD650 I bought. They sounded very similar to me, the HD580 sounds a bit more lively though, but also a bit less realistic and a bit less refined. Both sound about the same in pace rythym and timing - that is to say I think both are a little slow, especially compared to the likes of the CD3000 and Beyer DT931. I liked the HD580 slightly better overall, but I seem to be an exception to that rule overall. Neither of them really float my boat though to be honest, I prefer a more forward, powerful sound.